• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New 8 x42 'Spacewalker' 3D Binoculars

Bino-viewer

If you follow eyepiece development, last year you may have seen the introduction of the 'LOA' 21mm designed for Bino-viewers by Russ Lederman.

Plenty of info is on the Cloudy Nights forum (binoviewer section)

The technology is moving forwards and will soon be debuting in a 8 x 42 binocular.

They are currently in the prototype phase, and a link below gives an insight to them by the renowned observer William A Paolini.

I'm following these new binocs with interest ; another item for the wish list perhaps ! :)

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/user-reviews/first-light-with-the-prototype-8x42-space-walke-r3042

• Like 1

Interesting read Rob.

I wonder how much these would be, might be cheaper to get a pair of the LOA 3D eyepieces for your binoviewer Rob.

Having never experienced such a 3D effect, I'm not sure about this technology, but very intrigued both about the bins and the 3D bino viewing eps. It all seems a bit false, but THE eyepiece man, Paolini, seems well impressed. I too wonder what incredible price they will put on these binoculars.

Thanks for sharing that Rob. :thumbsup:

UPDATE...

$299 plus shipping. Available late March early April. :good2:

Just pre-ordered a pair :)

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 1

Cheaper then I thought.

That is a good price considering it's pretty new technology and as far as I know these are the first 3d bins available.

Thanks for sharing that info Rob ?

Paolini's write up was an interesting read...

Hopefully, Pete (Tweedledee) will find them just as enthralling... And end up keeping them... Then I may, at somepoint, be lucky enough to have a gander through em too! ?

Sorry, as the OP i've been left behind with this......

I too was a bit surprised by the price when it was announced.

As a lover of the 2 eyed views, i couldn't resist either.........I've put my name down on the list.  :rockon:

4 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

Thanks for sharing that info Rob ?

Paolini's write up was an interesting read...

Hopefully, Pete (Tweedledee) will find them just as enthralling... And end up keeping them... Then I may, at somepoint, be lucky enough to have a gander through em too! ?

Will bring them down in exchange for a view through your Meade :)

29 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Sorry, as the OP i've been left behind with this......

I too was a bit surprised by the price when it was announced.

As a lover of the 2 eyed views, i couldn't resist either.........I've put my name down on the list.  :rockon:

Two orders from EMS so far! :thumbsup:

I reckon Russ Lederman will have a bumper first run on these bins at that price. And maybe an even better second run, if word gets around that they are as good as the initial reports suggest.

Can't wait to experience this 3D effect :)

Edited by Tweedledee

• 3 weeks later...

Email received from Russ Lederman...

HI Peter. The date was an estimate made at the beginning of production. These things dohave a way of taking longer than anticipated. I am expecting to be able to ship sometime this Spring, 2016. No firm date and of course, quality rather than quick is my #1 focus;-) patience is appreciated!
Russ