• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Going mobile

Guest whizzbang

Guest whizzbang

Afternoon all, its been quite a while since i registered on here.

Due to a rather unhappy change in circumstances, i am losing my garden based imaging spot in woodhouse, and having to move to a smaller place with a sub optimal garden. this got me thinking about going mobile, i have a rough estimate of my power requirements, and find that the best option would be a rather large leisure battery. but boy, how heavy are these...upwards of 25Kg.

with that in mind, where or how do i go about finding dark sites in and around rothley, loughborough that will allow me to image right next to the car, whilst still being safe from other nefarious activities.

Any one got any ideas or suggestions to this..... ita all early days yet, but would be nice to hear from anyone who knows the area better than i do.....

thanks 

Russ

Have you tried Bradgate park. It's a problem round there with light pollution from Leicester and Loughborough. I'm originally from Thurmaston.

Wymeswold isn't too far from you.

Have a look on here and see if there's anywhere that you could use.

http://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=10&lat=6944595.71974&lon=-108724.33523&layers=B0TFFFFTT

Don't forget we have a dark site at Wymeswold cricket club, that's fairly safe, I think people have been there alone and had no issues. I haven't heard of any.

Edited by BAZ

Guest whizzbang
22 hours ago, tuckstar said:

Have you tried Bradgate park. It's a problem round there with light pollution from Leicester and Loughborough. I'm originally from Thurmaston.

Wymeswold isn't too far from you.

hadnt though if that, wondering if the gates are locked at night though.......... will check it out, the old john carpark is out of the way 

21 hours ago, BAZ said:

Have a look on here and see if there's anywhere that you could use.

http://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=10&lat=6944595.71974&lon=-108724.33523&layers=B0TFFFFTT

Don't forget we have a dark site at Wymeswold cricket club, that's fairly safe, I think people have been there alone and had no issues. I haven't heard of any.

will check out the dark site at wymeswold, and stump up my £20 ;)

I checked out Bradgate Park and Beacon Hill car parks a couple of years ago and they lock the car park gates at dusk unfortunately.

Guest whizzbang
14 hours ago, Brantuk said:

I checked out Bradgate Park and Beacon Hill car parks a couple of years ago and they lock the car park gates at dusk unfortunately.

Alot of car parks seem to get locked round here at dusk, sadly :(