• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

2 sunspots

The Sun is rather quiet at the moment and the weather doesn't help but there are a couple of sunspots visible in my 15x70 bins and filters.

SunspotDrawingY16MarD20.jpg

What sun spots groups are they?

As I did some white light solar on Sunday and defiantly saw 2524 which look similar to yours but not in that position.

(and I wouldn't say the sun is quiet, there is bags going off in H-alpha).

Edited by Daz Type-R

I don't keep track of which groups the sunspots are in. Should do, really. The positions are determined by the time of day I see them. It's often down to when it clears and when I have a spare minute or too.

As I have a single stack PST, I don't catch all of the detail in hydrogen alpha. Mark Townley catches a lot with triple stack set-ups. I don't think I'm allowed to post a blog link here.

Triple stacking does help yes but focusing is the biggest thing to get right. I have issues focusing at work with the double stack. Ibbo gets some cracking detail as does Philjay with the single stack so I think it mostly comes down to skill, patience and focusing rather than number of etalons. I wish I could afford a pst myself, I'd soon get it chopped down so I could get focus for my DSLR and start trying more seriously. For now though I'll make do with white light.

I myself will have to make do with white light viewing, will be many a year before I have saved enough for a h alpha scope...