• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Clave Plossl's

Tweedledee

Just acquired some "oldish" eyepieces to add to my collection :)

Clave Plossls - 2" 40mm, 1.25" 25mm, 20mm, 16mm and 12mm - not quite a full set as it is lacking the shorter focal lengths. I gather there are not many of these around anymore, so will have to google some info about them when I get time. I always fancied giving Claves a try after hearing good reports about them way back in the 70's and 80's, but never thought I'd see any in the flesh let alone own any...

20160323_145436.jpg

TV Nagler 7mm type 1. TV 17mm Plossl. Meade 12mm reticle and 6.7mm Plossl 3000 series. Celestron Plossl 26mm, 10mm and barlow. Lumicon OIII and a few other bits...

20160323_150017.jpg

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 4

Like Phil I have read a lot about these. They have a great reputation and as you say very hard to find now. Are you going to complete the set?

Next you will be after a complete set of the older Carl Zeiss.

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

As far as I'm aware they did a 4, 5, 6, 8, and 10mm also a really rare 50mm. 

Yes, plus the "Pic du Midi" 45mm and a 3mm.

Edited by Tweedledee

Wow only 8 more to get but what a collection you will have. Put them in a fantastic box and they will be perfect.

Pretty jealous.

Cheers, I bet there aren't many full sets around.

A nice custom made wooden box would be very nice for a set.

A good find Pete. ?

It would be good to try the Clavé Plössls on Jupiter at the moment and compare same to the 'modern' ep's you have.

You will no doubt already be aware that Televue based their Plössls on the excellent top of the heap Clavé Plössls.

It would be good to hear how they shape up... ?

Edited by Smithysteve

24 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

A good find Pete. ?

It would be good to try the Clavé Plössls on Jupiter at the moment and compare same to the 'modern' ep's you have.

You will no doubt already be aware that Televue based their Plössls on the excellent top of the heap Clavé Plössls.

It would be good to hear how they shape up... ?

Good idea Steve, they should be good on Jupiter.

Yes, Mr. Claves Plössls set the bar for Al Nagler.