• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mini Jupiters

catman161

Thanks for kind words Martyn. Just once you've used bigger and captured better anything below that "level" requires much the same effort to capture but less satisfaction with the result both in terms of image scale and resolution.

Why is the big scope down? You haven't had it long.

Without getting too much into my dealings with AA. I was told (by them) that the scope was "infinitely adjustable" and would therefore work with any focuser. I really liked the moonlite offering of their DC motorfocuser. It was strong and reliable and had no issues in cold weather or with slipping. So I decided (foolishly) to remove the starlight feathertouch focuser and sell it and buy a moonlite focuser and the accompany DC motorfocuser unit and hand control.

I then proceeded to adjust the spacing between the secondary and primary by moving the secondary (which is adjustable) in order to try and gain a point of focus. The reason for this being that the body of the moonlite focuser was nearly twice the length of the starlite feathertouch and therefore would not let me achieve focus. I messed about with the spacing trying hundreds of different iterations.

Eventually I had k return both the moonlite focuser and motorfocuser unit. FLO were brilliant and really understanding. I then had to buy a new starlight focuser. This is now on the scope. I can achieve focus but it has never been the same as it was when I first got it. I currently have someone much more experienced than me with all types of OTA's looking at it for me. Hopefully they will be able to sort it for me and I will be able to get ban to some proper imaging.

Graham in the interim had sorted an adapter for me to allow coupling of a skywatcher motorfocuser to the fine focus knob of the starlite focuser. Unfortunately this has not worked out in practice. As when planetary imaging you're constantly having to adjust the focus both fast and extremely slowly to adjust to the constantly changing seeing conditions. Also I do not feel the skywatcher motor is quite up to the task personally. So another job and potential purchase may end up me buying the moonlite motorfocuser unit (again!) and then getting in touch with graham to see if he can come up with a bespoke bracket to allow me to attach it to the coarse focus knob/ spindle so that I can then just use the hand control box speed control to be able to adjust quickly and slowly with a little more reliability and trust in the product because I know from experience it works really well having had it on the 200P before.

It's such a saga and one that is completely my own fault Martyn. I should have (in retrospect) just bought the moonlight motorfocuser unit and asked graham to make a bespoke bracket/coupler to allow it to be attached to the original starlight feathertouch focuser that way I would have never messed with the mirror spacing and would have been getting some good images of Jupiter.

Still we live and learn don't we? :)

Well i think they look smashing mate :thumbsup:

Cheers Wayne. Very kind of you to say. But as I said to Martyn when you're used to achieving better it's a little frustrating is all. Still as I said was nice to get back out :)

Quite a saga Felix, hope you can get the scope working the way you want it before the light Summer nights arrive!!

Cheers

Ron

Quite a saga Felix, hope you can get the scope working the way you want it before the light Summer nights arrive!!

Cheers

Ron

Me too Ron! :)

Blimey, there's always something. I hope you get it sorted soon mate.

Thanks Martyn-me too

Lovely image Felix :2thumbsup:

If you can do that with the little 127 mak then I can't wait to see what it will look like in the Planeta. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Lovely image Felix :2thumbsup:

If you can do that with the little 127 mak then I can't wait to see what it will look like in the Planeta. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Thanks Pete :) Yeah I've a feeling it will not be sorted in time for Jupiter but perhaps in time for Mars :)

Actually very nice images. Sorry to hear of your woes with the big scope.

Have to say I'm tempted by a colour planetary cam to go with my mono