• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello - new joiner

Guest Brm32

Guest Brm32

Hi

I signed up to this forum last year, but haven't been active.

I currently live in the Vale of Belvoir and bought a second hand Skywatcher 150PDS with an EQ5 Pro synscan mount last September, along with a few eyepieces. 

I've enjoyed what I have been able to see so far and have taken a couple of tentative steps at astrophotography with very limited success so far.

It's a struggle as there is a street light at the bottom of my garden that doesn't go off until midnight in the winter and 1 am in the summer!

I've found this and other forums informative on topics such as equipment reviews.

I intend to learn more and would also like to occasionally meet up with others to learn.

Regards

Hi, welcome aboard. At least your street light does get turned off. I get them all night + security lights.

Hi and welcome again to EMS.

This hobby can be a struggle but you do have an advantage over many of us. Living in the country you must have darker skies and as Andy said a street light that gets turned off. That's heaven for most of us. 

You have a great set up so keep taking small learning steps and eventually you will succeed.

Hello again and welcome to EMS.

Keep an eye on the announcement section, meets are arranged and announced there.

In the meantime I hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi Brian and welcome to EMS :)

All the lights in my street get turned off at midnight - but cos I live on a corner they leave two lights on all night right opposite my house. Fortunately one is shielded by a caravan but the other is a nuisance. Hose would be a dream to me lol. Enjoy the forum and hope we get to see you at a dark site soon. :)

Hi Brian, welcome to EMS. You are off to a good start with your equipment and it's good you have joined this friendly forum.

You have touched on a 'favourite' raw nerve mentioning the bane of most of our lives .... 'street lights' :facepalm2:yes I have two too! And they are on all night, one went out a couple of weeks ago and the council came round the next day and fixed it! :(

Whatever you do, don't mention clouds! :facepalm: ???☁️???

Guest Brm32

Unfortunately if I go outside after everyone is in bed, when the street light is out, the dog barks and everyone gets cross!

For some reason the rest of the family don't think getting rid of the dog is a reasonable measure.

Yes, welcome to ems. I live in place surrounded by street lights and they never get turned off. But we have to make do I suppose. :)

Hi Brian, a warm welcome to EMS.

I know what you mean about dogs, our next door neighbours barks it's head off if I go out. Fortunately for me, I blame our cats. :D

As mentioned, keep an eye on the info section and you would be very welcome to join in any of the meets whenever they are arranged.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Not all of us are in the east midlands. I'm in Wiltshire. I'm not sure whether I concentrate on solar system and brighter deep sky objects through choice or because of street lights. I can see the summer Milky Way despite them.

I just found this forum and liked it and stayed, despite my geographical position.

Hi Brian, welcome to EMS :) 

On the subject of street lights, I live on a corner and have 7 in view of my front garden, (I don't have a back one) and like most, they don't go off.

Love the comments about the cats and dogs, and yes, maybe rehomimg the dog is an unreasonable measure lol.