• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Modding a Canon 450D for Astro Imaging

gfletcher

Hi guys

I have recently acquired a used 450D body and my intention is to remove the filter to make it more receptive to Ha.

Has anyone done this modding procedure ?

If so, how easy/difficult is the process and is it possible for you to provide me with a "blow by blow" idiots guide to achieving this.

your help in this matter would be very much appreciated

thanks

Graham

Hi Graham

I did this on a 350.

Whilst the procedure is pretty straight forward you will need some very small screw drivers a soldering iron and a lot of peace and quiet to do it.

Word of caution I actually did 2 350's because I blew the first one up after a small shim fell onto the flash capacitor and blew up the circuit board.

There are several threads on the web on how to do this.

To try and do you a blow by blow account on here will take pages and pages. 

I did my 1000d some years ago following one of the guides on the internet and it was pretty straightforward. The only problem I had was with the microsockets, one must have been not quite in contact when I reassembled resulting in a dead cam. I stripped it agai then reassembled and all was well

The video looks good.

Is there any links to the 450D modification by text and maybe a paper template layout to put the removed screws onto?