• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi I'm back and with a setup at last.

Starman 1967

Hi guys I'm back. I kept my distance from the forum because I was changing my mind every 2 seconds as to what I wanted. So a made decision and stuck with it. Finally managed to buy myself a small setup.

Skywatcher Evostar 100 ED DS Pro With 0.85x Focal Reducer OTA comes with a 28mm sw eyepiece.

Skywatcher AZ-EQ5GT Alt Az / Equatorial GOTO Mount & Pier Tripod.

Baader Hyperion 13mm  modular eyepiece and the fine tuning rings.

t ring for my Sony a6000.

just got to learn how to use it all now. Managed to set up in az mode and view Jupiter Monday night. What can I say but WOW. I have never looked at any planet through a scope before. I finally seen Jupiters bands with my own eyes and her moons.

Tues night I even managed to photograph Jupiter. They didn't turn out as good as I hoped but it's a 1st.

the 1st photo shows the moons with Jupiter burnt out. The 2nd shows the bands but no moons.

if any body around Arnold way has a skywatchers az eq 5 mount and knows how to set the eq mode up I would like to shown how to set mine up. The instructions are vague at best.

also can anybody tell me how to put my setup on the bottom of each post I can't see how to do it.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 2

Welcome back Darren !

You need to goto your 'signature' to add your set-up

Click on your name > account settings > signature.

You have invested in some nice gear there. 

Hope you get some nice views, and some good images to follow.

I used to have an AZ-EQ6 a while back.

A tip for setting up in EQ is to make sure your polarscope is first calibrated properly.

If you check youtube > astronomy shed, Dion has lots of tutorials for EQ6 set up.

Next time you're Jupiter viewing, see if you can view it when the GRS is visible.

Its currently very prominent ; very red looking.

It should be an easy bag in your refractor, even if the seeing is a bit iffy :)

I did manage to see it Monday night. Didn't get chance to photo it tho. Was proper impressed with my 1st use of my new scope. Jupiters big red spot. Well chuffed.

Well done Starman  great start. Nice pics.

Edited by AstroHobbyman

4 minutes ago, Starman 1967 said:

Cheers Neil thanks for your help.

Anytime no probs.

16 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Welcome back Darren !

You need to goto your 'signature' to add your set-up

Click on your name > account settings > signature.

You have invested in some nice gear there. 

Hope you get some nice views, and some good images to follow.

I used to have an AZ-EQ6 a while back.

A tip for setting up in EQ is to make sure your polarscope is first calibrated properly.

If you check youtube > astronomy shed, Dion has lots of tutorials for EQ6 set up.

AND that the Polar scope Focus screw thread sits firmly - It seems they are notorious for "wiggling" about (mine included) I used PTFE tape on the thread works a treat and easier than Dion's "Tape Washer". 

Good to see you again Darren, you seem to have turned up with some nice kit, I hope you get some clear sky to give it a proper try out. :)

Cheers baz. Just need a crash course in setting up the equipment mount. Gotta get me a polar scope 1st.  

Got some nice kit there Darren. It'll serve you well. Jupiter sure is brilliant right now. Good pics :). You can use a Barlow, image mate or Powermate to get your image scale up.