• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Planetary Focusing

Brady

Just wondering how people are focusing there ccd/webcams for planetary imaging? ive tried by eye which doesn't always work out, there are a couple of programs on Ezplanetary based on edge i think, not sure on the other but dont have a clue how to work these as yet, any other ways to try? i know some of these monthly POTM winners dont just happen by luck :ph34r:;)

Thanks all

Wayne

Wayne.

I do it by eye.

I have a computer driven focuser so I can make adjustments on the fly as the seeing changes.

By eye is the way that is recommended by Damian peach. A good tactic is to use jupiters moons and focus on them until you get them as round as possible. The seeing changes so frequently that focusing on anything other than the planets disc itself like say a star using a bhat mask will not work. I've spent over 40 mins before tweaking the focus until I got it just how I wanted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a computer driven focuser (ASCOM for example) and the camera is compatible with APT this has an automatic focus procedure which uses one of two algorithms - 

FWHM (Full Width Half Maximum) focusing method.

HFD (Half Flux Diameter) focusing method.

Automated focusing with ASCOM focusers using FWHM or HFD

Cant say for Planets but this has helped me with DSO's but as the moons are small I would expect it might work. Having seen Felix's Jupiter pictures i will bow to experience.:-)

for planets moon and sun by eye

use a nearby star or planeatry moon to get close

Motor focuser almost essential for high res planetay imaging

I usually (depending upon seeing) tend to take captures both on what I think is the focus but also slightly either side so at the very least I know I walk away with at least one capture that I know is as close as it is possible to get.  I also do this of course with exposure and gain as well.

As said by eye.

I turn the gain right up and then focus until I have a sharp disc then turn the gain down to get it in roughly the right spot with further fine adjustments.

Cheers guys, im thinking of getting the hitecastro dc focus controller to go with the auto focuser i have, anyone used or have one of these? is it worth getting?, and Felix i was buying a lens cap off modern astronomy...slipped... and ended up with the polemaster....:ph34r:

Edited by Brady

Ha ha! Nice one Wayne. Great little piece of kit [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Brady said:

Cheers guys, im thinking of getting the hitecastro dc focus controller to go with the auto focuser i have, anyone used or have one of these? is it worth getting?, and Felix i was buying a lens cap off modern astronomy...slipped... and ended up with the polemaster....:ph34r:

I use one of these in my obs Wayne.

If you get one you will never regret it.

The control panel for this allows you to adjust the motor speed and the pulse time so adjustments are infinite.

Brilliant piece of kit. :2thumbsup: