• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello everyone

Dean Watson

Hi, my name (rather unsurprisingly) is Dean, I live in Cowbit near Spalding.  I've been an amateur pretty much all my life in one way or another (im 48 now) and got into this game pretty much from when my Dad gave me at around the age of 8 or so a load of newspapers and clippings from the Apollo landings (the 50's, 60's 70's space programme is a big deal for me too, as is golden age SF which I grew up with - Although I love all things Sciency like this - Sagan etc are big heroes of mine -, I'm told I'm surprisingly ungeeky when you meet me! - although my partner might beg to differ - I'm very much a child of that optimistic period of Star Wars and the associated telly of the time - a Glen A Larson Production!!! , Gerry Anderson and whatnot...). 

Given all this though my first love is real astronomy - I guess all this stuff is very much in my blood and my way of thinking, while I love (quality) fiction is all its forms I am primarily a rational humanist in much the same way as the aforementioned Sagan, Dawkins etc, although probably with a tiny bit more humility than the latter... 

I'm mainly an imager and like many, while I have a fairly large collection of eyepieces I cant remember the last time I actually used one other that to frame an object for an imaging session...  Tragic, I know!  But then, lets face it, us imagers have always struck me as fairly odd anyway...!

I've been out of the scene for around the past year (both parents passed away, my dad with mesothelioma, my mum with stomach cancer) and needed to get a bit more out there than the recluse Ive been recently (hence coming on here!).  Just in the process of restocking my dome (skyshed pod) on the proceeds of my inheritance as I'm having a bad attack of What The Hell.  Hoping to take delivery in the next week or so from that nice chap Steve at ENS of a C11 with all the toys to pair with my 4 inch semi apo (make a nice combo DS and planetary rig) - that'll be my sixth... I swear they're breeding in there... Although given the amount of use the stuff has had in the past year there hasn't been much else for them to do!  This though is just the kick start to get me active again (that and hopefully this forum)

Anyway, I've blathered on enough about my most favourite of all subject (Me!!! - Kidding!).  That's me out there again and I look forward to making all of your acquaintances over time.

All the best

Dean. 

• Like 1

Hi Dean, welcome to EMS. I am sure you will enjoy being a part of this forum.

That was an impressive introduction. 

You have a great setup,

Cheers!

Thank you both,  Its nice to be here, Hope I wasn't too gushing to start with, just that of course I'm an unknown quantity and volunteering a bit about myself seemed a good place to start.

Hi Dean, welcome.

Sorry for your loss but that was one hell of an intro  :thumbsup:

Nice collection of scopes ETC as well, I`m sure you will feel right at home along with the rest of us 'nutters'.

Enjoy the forum.

:)

Edited by Daz Type-R

2 hours ago, DeanWatson said:

But then, lets face it, us imagers have always struck me as fairly odd anyway...!

Lol ! :lol:

Welcome to EMS Dean. 

Wishing you clear skys, and some nice images to come from your new set-up.

Welcome aboard, sound like you'll fit right in. Whether that's good or bad, I'm not sure?

well tuckstar, normally to paraphrase groucho marks (who you may be interested to know was a very good friend of the the singer Alive Cooper), I wouldnt want to be a member of any club that would have me...!

Hehe I still have a couple (5mm and 7.5mm) - I cannot believe I used em for donkeys years decades ago... Then Al Nagler came along and whoa!

Hi Dean welcome to EMS.

You got into astronomy in a very similar way to me. It's been my life for many years as well, but I must admit nowadays I tend to drift in and out of astronomy more and more, I have to many other hobbies.

You drift in and out of astronomy.  Even at 48, sometimes of an evening outside when i'm tired I find myself driting in and out of consciousness...

Good to know you Mick (and of course everyone else)

Hi Dean, a warm welcome to EMS.

You have been through the mill a bit, it can't have been easy for you. That's a great intro, I have had a squint at the dark sky map, and you are close to a really dark bit of the country, I hope you have a bit of decent sky. Good luck with the new set up and keep us posted on how you get on, of course if you have any questions, feel free to ask and someone will jump in and help out if we can.

I'll be driving past your place in the Autumn to get to Kelling.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Hi Dean,

Welcome to EMS. You are obviously getting back into the hobby with all guns blazing :thumbsup:

You have some impressive equipment there. Would be good to see some pics of your obsy and scopes and of course your astro imagery.

Well done getting through your bad times and progressing with your interests again.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi again all, Yes Baz, no complaints on the sky (and if I did who would listen).  Its a bit of a soggy one this morning though...  Hi Pete/Tweedledee - Yes, will soon start to post images and whatnot - As it happens Ive stuck an old (from a couple of years back) M51 in tbe image section already (although keep it at the smaller size, its only a jpeg, not the full tiff and looks a bit grainy at the full size on the page - could probably use more data.  I'll stick one of me and my gear on soon (although the gear is more attractive...). 

Was down at Kelling on Saturday as it happens, got a new altair astro gpcam and an illuminate reticle from steve at ENS and actually got to call him in a bit to finalise my order and get delivery.  Don't know why I'm getting a new scope, I mean its not like I haven't got any! But astro gear is cool...