• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

1st time moon shots

Starman 1967

So for the 1st time I've photographed the moon. I'm chuffed with the results. I'm no photographer and had little experience with a camera  or telescope.

these were taken by trial and error. I've taken about 70 shots on the 13th April. here are what I think are some of the best. 

http://s1097.photobucket.com/user/leestacey/library/ 

:P:P:P

Edited by Starman 1967

I have registax and tried a week or 2 ago to do some stacking but I struggled to work it out. 

Hi Lee, congrats on your images, its always satisfying to get something to show other folks what the fascination with astro is all about.

What camera did you use?

Did you take the photo at the eyepiece with the camera lens still on (Afocal)?

The ideal for lunar photography is to get rid f the camera lens and telescope eyepiece and use the scope as the camera lens.

If you have a DSLR or CSC where the lens detaches then a simple adaptor for the camera lens mount to a 2" push fit can be bought. Then its a simple matter of attaching the camera to your focuser. Then you focus looking through the viewfinder until sharp then take your image. A remote release helps reduce shake at this point. 

Hi philjay

i have a Sony a6000

i tried both ways thru the eyepiece with a 16-50mm lens set at 48mm on a 28mm eyepiece and I also used a Baader 13mm eyepiece with the camera body only attached to the eyepiece via t-ring and Baader attachment and used fine tune rings. I also attached it direct to the scope no lens to be honest I think I tried almost all combinations. I also used a focal reducer which was limited as I could only fit my Baader eyepiece to it as I don't have a converter ring to make any other combo. I connected the camera to my iPad and used that to focus and remote shoot. I found focusing really hard on the camera screen as its so small. Focusing on the iPad was better but the signal delay from camera to iPad was slow and made focusing difficult too.

Very good for a first attempt. You might want to try some image processing tools, such as GIMP. That will help you get rid of the blue fringes and boost the contrast.