• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mercury Transit 9th May 2016

Ibbo

Mercury Transit 9th May 2016

Warning The sun is dangerous and any mistakes could lead to permanent blindness.

The Geocentric Phase timings are 11-12 UT ingress(12-12 BST) 18-42 UT egress (19-42 BST) but your actual local timings will differ slightly. This website will provide additional information -

http://eclipsewise.com/oh/tm2016.html

Preparation is king from the making of filters to the planning of the path of the sun from your chosen location, a tree of building in the way can make for a frustrating day.

The size of Mercury makes the use of eclipse glasses of no use so you will need some sort of telescope/binoculars to view the event.

Anything involving the sun is dangerous if you do not take the usual precautions.

The use of a proper filtration is of uppermost importance.

The filters are available from all reputable astronomical vendors and can be Baader film to the use of a dedicated solar telescope.

The making of a Baader film filter can be done as a Blue Peter DIY but please make sure that it cannot fall off and has no pinholes in it. The attached video explains the making of a suitable filter in more detail

- http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p014hpkh

All finders must be also be filtered, securely capped off or removed.

In no circumstances are the eyepiece filters to be used (usually sold on eBay) –they should be destroyed as a matter of course.

Imaging Ha filters again are not to be used for solar viewing or imaging.

If you are sharing the event please make sure that your visitors are aware of the precautions that must be taken with solar viewing.

Edited by Daz Type-R
Unpinned and unfeatured now the event is over.
  • Like 3

That is a good warning Steve there are at least 7 events locally to me being run by Uni's and astronomy society's   

• 2 weeks later...

Just hope there's some clear periods to watch this, as the weather lately has been pretty awful. :facepalm2:

Weathers looking promising ?

Because the event is several hours we should get lots of opportunities ☀️⛅️?

I've been fiddling with the solar streaming set up at work this morning, all being well I should be able to stream the entire event.

This one's not showing a lot at the moment but I looked at the youtube one and that one's working fine. :)

Yup that seems to be working nicely now. :)

Can you make the clouds go away now lol.

We're getting some cracking views in the gaps between the clouds. :)

If anyone wants to drop round for a look you'd be most welcome.

(pm me if directions required)

A lash up at the office over lunch with my Pentax 20x60 binos, a tripod, a smartphone and some white card got me this. Mercury just visible at about 9 O'clock position if you view full size. I fully expect everyone else's to be significantly better!

Alan

IMAG0671_zpsuht5ymaf.jpg

Edited by Big Al
updated picture

We've lost it now behind the conifers in the back garden - so just finished packing up.

Had a good 4hrs though of pretty solid views - especially the last two hrs. :)

• Like 3

A fascinating day Kim ?

3 minutes ago, Brantuk said:

We've lost it now behind the conifers in the back garden - so just finished packing up.

Had a good 4hrs though of pretty solid views - especially the last two hrs. :)

I am still tracking it at the moment, I am waiting for an Astro buddy to drop by on his way home from work.  

We have been blessed with the weather, though there is thin cloud about...

i went up to Sherwood observatory earlier  and looked through 5 scopes of various denominations and now I am looking through my LX 200.

all good stuff! :)

• Like 3

Unexpected IT meltdown........ Live feed up and running again here:

It was great watching the transit today. I managed to get some decent pictures.

• Like 2