• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

April 28th Dr Chris North - Herschel Space Observatory

The next meeting is on Thursday 28th April at the now regular time of 7pm. Our guest speaker is Dr Chris North of Cardiff University and ex co-presenter of the BBC Sky at Night programme. Chris will be presenting a talk on the Herschel Space Observatory. A space based telescope observing in the far infra red. Chris is part of the team looking after the mission and often has plenty of free stuff to give away so it's well worth coming along for freebies if nothing else!

Chris.North_.jpg

I have managed to talk Chris into running a workshop in the afternoon for our students and a staff training session after school so this is quite a big deal for the school to have somebody as well connected in for biggest part of the day.

As always, admission for members is free and for visitors a suggested donation of £2 towards the cost of refreshments and other running costs. Refreshments will be available from 6:30pm in the usual place. If the weather is good we have chance to possibly observe Jupiter and or the Moon. Last week the views of Jupiter were among the best we have managed at the school so it looks like all the adjusting has been worthwhile.

Going to have a word with SWMBO, see if I can get a pass out.

Sounds a good night.

• 2 weeks later...

Head towards the dome, it's the room underneath it on the ground floor. There should be signs (if I remember to put them up!)

Address for those who may need it:

The Long Eaton School,

Thoresby Rd,

Long Eaton,

Nottm,

NG10 3NP

If using sat nav please be sure to head for Thoresby Rd, some older sat nav maps will take you to the old entrance which will not be open.

Edited by Perkil8r

Tonight is also a meeting of the Imaging Group of Lincoln Astronomical Society (7.30pm at the observatory). Otherwise I would have been going. www.lincolnastronomy.org

If anyone would introduce Dr North to Astrospeakers it would be appreciated. He is not on our list of speakers yet. www.astrospeakers.org

Regards, Graham

Leaving Ruddington now (work) fingers crossed I make it in time, traffic is normally rubbish along the A52.....

That was an excellent talk, Dr Chris North is a really nice guy and clearly has a huge knowledge and passion for the subject. A thoroughly good night. :)

Thanks to all who came, Martyn is right, Chris gave a very entertaining and informative talk. Sorry if I didn't get to speak to you much, I am feeling very tired and rough, think I have a bug of some sort. Chris was great with the students this afternoon too, I feel very lucky he agreed to do it for us. I have dropped him off at the hotel in  Derby, he only got back from Greece on Tuesday evening, he really gets about!

I got as far as Sawley bridge then some idiot ran into the back of me then drove off so had to visit the police station instead. Damaged bumper but luckily no injuries :) 

Sounds like I missed a good night.

8 minutes ago, TasKiNG said:

I got as far as Sawley bridge then some idiot ran into the back of me then drove off so had to visit the police station instead. Damaged bumper but luckily no injuries :) 

Sounds like I missed a good night.

Ouch :( sorry to hear that. Glad you weren't hurt though :thumbsup:

Sorry Dave. I am glad you are OK. If they drove off, they had something to hide, probably not the insured driver.

Were fine thanks :)

Luckily I got the Registration number so reported it to the police.

My insurance company checked and found they were insured through Admiral. 

I suspect they were either drunk, not the insured driver or trying to avoid loss of no claims bonus.

They'll have a shock when the police get in contact :)

• Like 3

Serves them right, hope they throw the book at them.

Just echoing everyone else's comments above, a fantastic talk from an inspiring speaker.

Loved it!

So lucky that you managed to get the registration number. Always a bit of a shock when something unexpected like that happens. A pity it spoiled your evening and you missed the talk. As per Daz above, hope they throw the book at them.