• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Astro Imaging Focusing

gfletcher

Hi guys

I am endeavouring to do some Astro imaging with my unmoderated Canon 1000D through my 8" SCT.

Is there any free software that will show me how close I am to achieving focus.

Graham

Dont know of any free software for Canon DSLR but APT has a number of electronic focusing algorithm's that you can use on a star. I can vouch for APT and the algorithm's and at £15 its cheap. Later you can add a motorised focuser (as long as connected by usb/serial com etc) and it will automatically do the best it can to focus for you. Takes a bit to get used too (me anyway) but once mastered (LOL) it does the job. Updates after the 1st year are £5 so not too expensive to run. It even comes with a Plate Solving software that matches Astrotortilla so will center objects in the  FOV and will allow goto from an image. You can even use Astrotoritilla with APT .

Forgot to add will also allow CCD camera's to be used

Edited by stash

Hi Graham, I use Backyard EOS. It's made for the Canon camera and checks focus as well as live view checks + exposures of course!

Cheers

Ron

+1 for APT there is BAHITINOV AID  just so easy take an exposure of a bright star with BAHITINOV mask on and apt tells you how far out you are , so readjust until you get as close as .

Thanks Guys

David is the Bahtinov mask better than the focus aid on APT?

7 minutes ago, gfletcher said:

Thanks Guys

David is the Bahtinov mask better than the focus aid on APT?

I only use the BAHITINOV mask focusing aid in apt so can't comment on the other ways you can use in apt ,it's very easy though I use 1000d too