• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DSLR Focus

Brady

Anybody using this software at all? and how do you find it? it doesn't seem a bad price if it does what its supposed to do, im looking for some focusing software to try out with the dslr but lost with the amount thats out there free or at a cost...

Thanks all

Not heard of dslr focus before have you tried APT there is three option within it for focusing ,

bahtinov Aid - powered by the Bahtinov Grabber technology to provide focusing with sub-pixel precision with a mask!

FWHM (Full Width Half Maximum) focusing method.

HFD (Half Flux Diameter) focusing method.

i see you have the hitecastro focus you can use that within APT too,the bahtinov aid is very good tell you how far out you are and combined with an autofocuser even more accurate

APT http://www.ideiki.com/astro/Default.aspx

Funny enough did try a mates APT at the weekend David and for some reason it kept dropping my dslr when anything was pressed, im sure its my fault and not the software but with the darkness inching away i uninstalled it with the intention of something a bit easier....but i will go back for another go..:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Gosh that takes me back, didn't know it was still supported.

I used it in the early days when I had my 300d. I eventually just used it for running the shutter sequence only. I found the focusing bit of the programme a bit of a faff. I bought a STI Stiletto focuser which made life so much easier with the canon and cut focusing times down from minutes to seconds.

I dont think it is, in fact a bit surprised its still around £15 with the introduction of a lot better software out there, i think im going to stop sulking about the other night and do as David says and hammer APT again...just get it right this time:facepalm:

When installing APT  you choose what sensor your camera has its either a digi11 or 111 or something like that ,maybe your friends apt was set to the different sensor that yours uses , I have the 1000d and uses digi111 sensor maybe that was the issue , APT has developed quite a lot in the last few years I think ivo tries for three updates a year , now has plate solving intergrated into it now aswell , not used that  feature yet .

Thanks for the info David I will double check that setting,  APT YouTube tutorials are getting pasted as we speak ;)

10 hours ago, Brady said:

I dont think it is, in fact a bit surprised its still around £15 with the introduction of a lot better software out there, i think im going to stop sulking about the other night and do as David says and hammer APT again...just get it right this time:facepalm:

APT is certainly supported latest release last week 3.11 if my memory serves me right it was £16 for the paid version and the yearly subscription to updates which are three updates a year was £4 if you don't subscribe it still works you just don't get the updates , the latest release was put back a month so my subscription was put back in line with release ,there is an APT forum link through the APT     website and Ivo the developer is on SGL  , as YODDA  , I've used it a while though probably not too it's full potential  ,certainly shouldn't be overlooked and low cost .

I use both APT and BYEOS - the latter has a better user interface, the former is better tech wise -Integrated things like the Platesolving are magic. I use both the Inbuilt Platesolver and Astrotortilla (sometimes one works the other doesn't solve). So long as you choose the right logic sensor (as per others have said) AND your USB connection/cables are spot on (I am at 25m with active USB and a powered port) then both APT and BYEOS work perfectly. Byeos has a habit of not closing correctly sometimes as it starts a background thread but the support on both is great - I have a bug being looked at by Byeos and the help is good. Cant say about APT support as I haven't needed it yet. The Autofocusing aid works but takes a little getting used too - i use FWHM and HFD on a DIY focuser and so long as the grub screws haven't worked loose(GRrrr!) then it seems to work and a whole lot better than me. The only annoying thing about APT is the LIVE view it seems to jump between the last picture you took and the current Live view and it seems to go back to previous EXP,ISO etc but that be me.  At £16 you have to applaud YODDA its worth every penny.Clear Skies!

Much appreciated guys, i like the look of BYEOS myself but i think the cost of APT outweighs it for now, i installed a pals on the main house desktop tonight and the camera fired straight in, not tried it in the shed again yet but its obviously something ive done outside or the usb is playing up..we will see when i get an hour spare...Thanks again

• Like 1