• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

'Markarians Chain' and other Spring Galaxies

Smithysteve

Galaxies - Virgo Cluster etc.
I started off with the Leo Triplet to check out the seeing conditions, M65 and M66 were in plain view, NGC 3628 was just visible. But there was no moon (and no discernible cloud ?) so, I thought lets have a go at tackling the Spring Galaxies. 

I kicked off in the deep end with Markarian's chain and then moved to other galaxies in the area...

I Only used my Uwan 16mm, I chose only to see each Galaxy separately, then hop over to the next. I love to see more than 1 galaxy in the FOV but was more than happy tonight to see them one at a time with sometimes just a glimpse of another in the wings... But there were exceptions... 'The Eyes' galaxies for instance... 

Markarian's Chain is a fascinating string of spring galaxies straddling Virgo and Coma Berenice's border. (Featured in Astronomy Now mag recently)
I Started at the Southern end of the chain and worked my way north and west, this is my order of viewing...
NGC 4388, mag +9

M84, mag +9.10, a giant lenticular Galaxy.
M86, mag +8.89, is a lenticular galaxy in the heart of the Virgo Cluster of galaxies. It forms a conspicuous pair with M84.

Next in the chain is a pair known as 'The Eyes' and it was certainly the first time I had set eyes on them ?, when you centre these two objects in the FOV, they do look spooky! ? These were the second best memorable object tonight!... They are;
NGC 4438, mag +9, and
NGC 4435, mag +9,

Continuing on up the chain...
NGC 4461, mag +11.19,
Now moving Into Coma Berenices...
NGC 4473, mag +10.19
NGC 4477, mag +10.39

'Every egg a bod!' so far...

NGC 4459, mag +10.39
NGC 4474, mag +11.50

Finished the chain on M88, mag +9.
Yes! A first, and had few problems seeing all of them!

Ok, going for quantity now, let's try and bag some more Spring galaxies...

M60, giant elliptical, mag +8.80 - it has a close neighbour,.. NGC 4647, together known as Arp 116. 

Also in same area...
M59, elliptical, mag +9.8
M58, barred spiral, mag +9.69, 
M89, elliptical, mag +10.7, 
M90, spiral, mag +10.9, 
M87, elliptical, mag +8.6, dominant galaxy - it's quite big...
M91, mag +10.19, 
M100, mag +9.39, quite faint, but also quite large...

Ok, one more Galaxy on the menu tonight... 'The Silver Streak'...!
NGC 4216, mag +10.0, (just 2.5 degrees West from M86), Edge on Galaxy, known as 'The Silver Streak Galaxy',, a thin bright line... This was quite large and another one on my hit list of objects.

M3 is a magnificent globular Cluster and it is close to the Virgo/Coma Berenices Galaxies, so this was where I finished off the session. After all the faint fuzzies M3 stood out like a giant swarm of fireflies and was a thrill to see. It was the best object of the night. ?

At 01.00am I shut down the scope and dome and still very excited went into the house, looking back at the sky above the dome I saw Saturn and Mars hanging there just ripe for plucking... Damn, I forgot they would be up at this time! Oh well, save them till next time.... A great night for me! ?

Thanks for looking...
Cheers!

• Like 3

Sounds an awesome night Stephen.

I find the lack of aperture on my 120ED just not big enough to catch these, but I do remember seeing them all in my 16" dob. It's a great feeling when you first lay eyes on these deep space objects. It's also great seeing more then one in same field of view. The silver streak galaxy is especially nice and very bright.

Here's a sketch I done one night of 6 galaxies in one field of view, I bet it was a similar view you had last night.

Well done Stephen.

M84 M86 Ngc 4435 4438 4402 4388 for magazine.jpg

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2

Fantastic report, you had a great night.

I need a bigger scope ;) 

• Like 1

Great report Steve. You didn't half bag a load of stuff in that session, you must have had a lovely time. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

That's good going Steve, I must admit to not really going for these visually, been too lasy and bagged them with a Mintron when it was working. That's a good nights bag there

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Doc said:

Sounds an awesome night Stephen.

I find the lack of aperture on my 120ED just not big enough to catch these, but I do remember seeing them all in my 16" dob. It's a great feeling when you first lay eyes on these deep space objects. It's also great seeing more then one in same field of view. The silver streak galaxy is especially nice and very bright.

Here's a sketch I done one night of 6 galaxies in one field of view, I bet it was a similar view you had last night.

Well done Stephen.

M84 M86 Ngc 4435 4438 4402 4388 for magazine.jpg

That must have been a buzz to see so many galaxies in your FOV. And to stay on them long enough to sketch them! ?

Inspiring! ?

Thanks for all your comments guys ?

Yes it turned into a memorable session- lots more to see in that area too!

A Galaxy feast at the moment, if the clouds keep away ?

cheers!