• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Messiers I need in Mallorca

Doc

Off to Mallorca on Saturday and I have a list of a few messiers to see. If I'm lucky to see them I should complete all 110 objects. I only have my 10x50 bins and hopefully if it isn't to heavy once I pack my suitcase I'll take my 85mm spotting scope.

The list is:

M4 a globular cluster in Sco

M6 an Open Cluster in Sco

M7 an open cluster in Sco

M30 a globular cluster in Cap

M54 a globular cluster in Sag

M55 a globular cluster in Sag

M62 a globular cluster in Oph

M68 a globular cluster in Hyd

M69 a globular cluster in Sag

M70 a globular cluster in Sag

M83 a Galaxy in Hyd

They can be seen between 01.00 and 04.30 and the altitude range is between 10° and 20°.

Can anyone foresee any problems.

Clo@d. !!!!!

Good luck Mick, I need the same.

:) 

Edited by Daz Type-R

The light pollution is pretty bad there, see if you can find a dark site Mick I may have a go for some of them when i go on the 22nd!!

(Did you pick up a Bird magazine?)

Ron

Just wondering if the globular cluster to end all globular clusters : Omega Centauri (NGC 5139)

is visible from there Mick ?

I've checked and reckon it should be 5 deg or so above the southern horizon.

Tip : wait till Spica transits then look south 35 degrees. (3 and a half 'fists' at arms length.)

See if you can bag it. I reckon it would be a worthy extra to add to your Messier list ! :)

I will be further south in early August (Fuertaventura) and hope to see it for myself.

Not sure Rob.

At it's highest it's only 2.41° above horizon.

Edited by Doc

Arrr, maybe a bit too low then.

Still, the southern constellations should look good, especially with Mars & Saturn in the mix.

I agree with Ron, having been out there. You're only going to get them all from a good dark site. Though you'll get the brighter ones like M4 showing through the light glow. Have a great holiday Mick :thumbsup:

Cheers guys I'll see what I can do.

And Ron yes I have a few magazines to read, a Bernard Cornwall book, and a Collins birding book as well.

• 3 months later...

Messiers seen  from south of Paris don't count! I got them all from Wiltshire but it took about four years. I remember seeing Scorpio's tail from the Canaries for the first time. I first snapped it from Aruba. I was definitely cheating!