• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Long FL eps

Tweedledee

Just got 3 interesting eyepieces for my "museum" collection from David Lukehurst, the dobsonian builder in Nottingham. Got a 2" Meade 56mm Super Plossl and a pair of new unused 2" 42mm 60 degree military surplus 1980's periscope eyepieces. Can't really use them properly yet unless I get an F10 plus refractor with a 2" bino-viewer. Damian will loan me his 5" F9 to try them in.

On close inspection, I see that the two periscope eyepieces are not identical, one is definitely a wider apparent field than the other, so I will have to measure them to find the precise specs. Having two slightly different eyepieces pleases me since I can't afford a 2" bino-viewer :)

The periscope eps are an unusual 5 element in 3 groups design, which I originally expected to mean they were Erfles which are common in military optics. They are actualy similar to the 1935 Galoc eyepiece, having a thick cemented triplet field lens and two separate meniscus lenses. In the original Galoc, the two meniscus lenses were a cemented doublet. If anyone knows any more  history or info on these periscope eyepieces, I would be very interested.

20160505_093941.jpg

• Like 3

Interesting Pete, you have quite a collection now. Can't help you on the periscope eyepiece I'm afraid, but I would have thought Erfle/Galoc as well so I would research along those lines. I have used a Meade 56mm in the past but I think the one I had was a flat top meade 3000 or could have been 4000 in was a long time ago.

You most likely have seen this site but it does mention military Galoc eyepieces.

http://www.brayebrookobservatory.org/BrayObsWebSite/HOMEPAGE/PageMill_Resources/PUBLICATIONS/Unusual Eyepieces.pdf

Edited by Doc

Thanks Mick, I've had that pdf on my hard disk for a long while, but didn't think to look at it with regards to the Galoc ep.

There are a few other eps I'd like to own from Chris Lords collection :)

Your ever growing ensemble looks very interesting Pete!

You are spoilt for choice whatever your target!

Have you seen first light with all of them yet?

Comparing them would be a massive undertaking...?

57 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

Your ever growing ensemble looks very interesting Pete!

You are spoilt for choice whatever your target!

Have you seen first light with all of them yet?

Comparing them would be a massive undertaking...?

Thanks Steve, I'm rather proud of them :)

I tend to split them into two groups - the ones I like to look through, and the ones I like to look at, through some fit into both groups :lol:

The workhorses that I enjoy using most are the ES 25mm 100 degree, TV 17mm Ethos 100 degree, ES 9mm 120 degree and the Speers Waler 12-8.5mm zoom 84 to 89 degree. These really are WOW factor eyepieces for me. I intend to add to these a 5mm 110 degree for really high power. Oh and perhaps one day an ES 3" 30mm 100 degree. Most of the others have their own virtues and interesting characteristics though.

The only ones I haven't yet enjoyed first light with, are the 3 new ones in the top post and the 5 Clavé Plossls.

Need some new cases now, or maybe just a big one to fit them all in.

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 2

Impressive collection Pete :good3:

I think you must be the EMS eyepiece king ! 

I'm drawn towards the RKE 28. They have a bit of a cult following.

Do you get the 'floating in space' effect thats widely reported ??

Just now, Bino-viewer said:

Impressive collection Pete :good3:

I think you must be the EMS eyepiece king ! 

I'm drawn towards the RKE 28. They have a bit of a cult following.

Do you get the 'floating in space' effect thats widely reported ??

Thanks Rob, though I reckon Kim probably has eyepieces he's forgotten about, and Mick has pretty much the ultimate all round selection with his big Nagler and full set of Delos :)

The RKE 28 is a real quirky oddball, which is why I bought it. They are still available new quite cheaply from within the UK for £68 here...

http://www.edmundoptics.co.uk/microscopy/eyepieces/edmund-optics-rke-precision-eyepieces/30787/

The floating effect is quite vivid and very weird, but is actually a bit of a novelty and of little practical use in my opinion. It has a large eye lens for a 1.25" ep, and the narrow rim just seems to disappear when your eye is the correct distance, leaving the image floating in space. The downside is that with the long eye relief, a lot of stray light can stop you seeing the fainter stuff. It is actually supplied with a separate large bulky rubber latex eye shield, but when you use the eye shield the floating effect disappears, leaving the same view you'd expect from a normal eyepiece. It also comes with a warning card about allergic reactions to the rubber eye shield and it doesn't even fit the eyepiece, you have to hold it in place! Just very odd, but I do like it just because it is different.

20160505_231627.jpg

• Like 1

That's a lot of glass Pete. I have just had a look at the RKE, it's got enormous eye relief that's getting on to 1 inch. Maybe with a black out hood over your head you might be able to appreciate it's true performance. I have thought about having one of these made, as a kitchen towel doesn't really cut it.  I know you can buy them, but they are a bit pricey for what they are.

Thanks Martyn, good idea about the black out hood.

I bought the perfect purpose made blackout hood at a reasonable price from SCS Astro about 15 years ago but can no longer find it :wacko: They don't do them any more. I found them online in the USA a while back, but with shipping it was going to cost about £80 :o so didn't bother. 

Like you say, having one made is perhaps the best and cheapest option :thumbsup:

Edited by Tweedledee

Just located a very smart monks hood at R-Sky in Russia for $33 (about £23)...

http://r-sky.org/en/products/observing-hood

Just waiting for them to email a shipping price.

Anyone want to be the best dressed at the star party or Saturday night out on the town? :ph34r: :D 

Just need a scythe- you would look well scary. :o

i have a photographic shroud which I bought 10 years ago for the Meade etx125, it has a hole in it that you slide over the scope optical tube and the drape it over your head, it is very black and gives great views and makes it easier to keep both eyes open. I can recommend using one...

cheers!

1 hour ago, Smithysteve said:

Just need a scythe- you would look well scary. :o

Kind of you to say so Steve. Didn't think the scythe was necessary. :icon_evil:

That's a great collection Pete. I had the 56mm Meade and that was my finder eyepiece in the C11 that I had at the time, gave nice wide views. Sold it a few years later for exactly what I paid for it cos they are sought after, so keep it safe.

15 hours ago, BAZ said:

That's a lot of glass Pete. I have just had a look at the RKE, it's got enormous eye relief that's getting on to 1 inch. Maybe with a black out hood over your head you might be able to appreciate it's true performance. I have thought about having one of these made, as a kitchen towel doesn't really cut it.  I know you can buy them, but they are a bit pricey for what they are.

Monk's hood ordered from R-Sky in Russia  $43 = £30 including shipping.

Designer gear for a good night out :lol:

3 hours ago, philjay said:

That's a great collection Pete. I had the 56mm Meade and that was my finder eyepiece in the C11 that I had at the time, gave nice wide views. Sold it a few years later for exactly what I paid for it cos they are sought after, so keep it safe.

Thanks Phil,

I'm sure the 56mm really opened up the C11 while maintaining a large exit pupil and a bright view.

That 56mm Meade does seem to have some good reviews for a very cheap eyepiece...

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/user-reviews/eyepieces/eyepieces-14mm-55mm/big-plossls-televue-55mm-meade-4000-56mm-4-element-design-meade-4000-56mm-5-elem-r2198