Welcome to East Midlands Stargazers

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, communicate with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you've signed in.

Graham

Helppppppppp with pc.

73 posts in this topic

I was setting up my laptop (which is an old Dell 1300 inspiron) to run a large monitor so I can show the folks at work the transit on Monday.

Anyway the long and the short of it is I changed the setting for the monitor in windows to auto and now the bloody screen on the laptop has gone blank.

It boots up normally showing the windows screen ect but as soon as XP loads the screen goes blank.

It is working just not displaying what it should.

I can start it in safe mode and the screen works fine.

I need to change the monitor setting in windows back to where it was.

Any ideas 

Thanks

Graham

Is it connected to the monitor you will be using? Your desktop should appear on that, not the lappy screen. 

Can you not do that in safe mode Graham?

No it wont display anything on any screen.

not even sure I have safe mode now.

when I try to start in safe mode all i get is a screen full of writing .

multi (0)disc partition ect ect

So you've bu**ered it up have you? Can you get in to the boot up screen? F2  I think on boot up?

Ooops, usually when I select another screen my lappy screen goes blank and the external monitor shows the desktop.....not sure what you have done there

Edit: How have you connected the external monitor?

Edited by Celeste

When I do it on the desktop no problem first time I have tried it on this laptop.

Wish I hadnt now :lol:

Have you held down the function key and slowly worked your way through each of the top row keys appertaining to multiple screens?

Edited by Smithysteve

Hi Stephen.

Have I done what ???

Sorry but where computers are concerned I know very little.

Boot up your laptop and when you have the blank screen...

Bottom left corner you have a Fn (or function key) in blue letters? Top rows of keys are F1 - F12, on my dell F8 is a symbol with 2 squares or 'two screens' in blue writing on it. Hold down the Fn key and press (say) F8 at the same time - you may have to hold the Fn key and press F8 a couple of times...

Edited by Smithysteve

1 minute ago, Smithysteve said:

Boot up your laptop and when you have the blank screen...

Bottom left corner you have a Fn (or function key) in blue letters? Top rows of keys are F1 - F12, on my dell F8 is a symbol with 2 squares or 'two screens' in blue writing on it. Hold down the Fn key and press (say) F8 at the same time - you may have to hold the Fn key and press F8 a couple of times...

Just remember it can take about 5 or so seconds for each monitor to register it is supposed to be ON lol....

Edited by Celeste

Good luck with it Graham, off out now but will check in on my return :)

Ron

I have tried that.

The other monitor is working as it changes when I toggle between CRT/LCD but then displays no signal

These are the keys I was referring to (see below),

image.jpeg

Hi Stephen.

My keyboard looks like this.

keyboard 3.jpg

yes its still the Fn & F8 key

have you tried another monitor cable?

Edited by Ibbo

Lol, I can see what the prob is now - it's too filthy! Lol.

Ok the crt/led is 'cathode ray tube/liquid crystal display' and I presume you have a flat screen led.

was it in the Windows menu that you selected 'auto', cos you can normally set up another screen from there. If your screen cannot deal with the resolution you have chosen from the settings then it will kick in and then go blank.

if so, then I don't see how I can help at this moment short of plugging your laptop external screen cable into your living room (42") tv etc...

Edited by Smithysteve

Hi 

I have tried several different screens and they are all blank.

I changed the setting in the windows display settings tab.

I messed up one time (unusable resolution) and used safe mode to find and reinstall my graphics card driver. Good luck.

I cannot use safe mode.

Even if I select safe mode in the boot menu the screen is still blank :wallbash:

It seems if I need to be able to tell windows to revert back to the original settings but without a screen I just cannot see how this is possible.

My biggest problem is I use this laptop to set up the mounts after I work on them. 

Does your laptop boot up ok and make beeps and show led activity etc?

Does it show any messages on any screen whilst booting?

I have been looking on forums etc for advice but no luck so far. I am not a computer expert either sadly... And I hate em too!

Hi Stephen

The screen works fine whilst booting up.

I can press F2 and get the menu up or F8 and get the boot menu up.

It is only when windows XP loads that the screen goes blank.

This happens what ever mode I fire it up in.

Hopefully someone will be along that can sort this out for you Graham... I did read this...

Can you remove the laptop battery on your laptop?

The "black screen of death" is usually very easy to repair on a laptop. First, turn your computer off by pressing and holding down the start button. Next, unplug the computer and remove the battery. Press and hold down the start button for about 60 seconds. Release the button and plug in the computer. Press the start button and the display should return. Replace the battery. If this does not work, try it again up to four times...

Thanks Stephen

I did try that so maybe I will give it a couple more goes.