• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Petition to regulate light pollution.

Daz Type-R

Just spotted this thread over on SGL, you could argue next to nothing is going to get done but I think we have to try, if we don't sign it we can't complain that nothing is being done.....

Full info on SGL, see link below.....

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/269860-petition-to-regulate-light-pollution/

• Like 2

Thanks for pointing that out Darren. :thumbsup:

I was the 451st, so it needs a heck of a lot more.

100000 and the petition will be considered for debate in Parliament!

Nice one chaps, it's only been running 8 hours or so, so fingers crossed. 

I signed it an hour ago and was the 244th, so it's had some clout in the last hour!

Edited by Daz Type-R

I presume it is only one per household, or one per email address.

Or could I get the rest of the family to sign?

Edited by Tweedledee

One per e-mail address, as it needs a valid e-mail address to make sure it's a "person".

Not fool proof but if somebody wants to create 100,000 e-mail addresses and sign up with each, then great!

:) 

With nearly 1200 EMS members (a lot fewer active ones I know), it could be worth our while pushing this. Could be our best chance to make a difference.

Maybe mods could bulk PM all the members urging them to sign and possibly get their friends and relatives involved.

Just a thought. :)

Signed - I was number 654. :)

Whipped up a quick email message and sent it to the member for Charnwood too.

Edited by Brantuk

Signed :)

stands at 656 now...

thanks for sharing this! ?

Just another thought, since I'm a bit fired up by light pollution :nonono: :)...

Perhaps EMS members in astronomical societies could make a point of bringing this to the attention of their own society members.

If us astronomers don't go all out for this then who else will? Maybe a few concerned with light pollutions effects on wildlife and circadian rhythms etc. I'm sure there are a more of us lot.

We could make a difference. :)

Edited by Tweedledee

Fifty more have signed up in the few mins since I did. Seems to be gathering pace. :)

Edited by Brantuk

17 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

The direct link to the gov site is:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119428

Was 696 a mo ago...

cheers!

Thanks Steve :thumbsup:

Near the bottom of that webpage is a link "Get petition data (json format)". I downloaded it but can't find anything to open a .json file. Maybe someone can enlighten me about this please.

Apart from the weather, light pollution is the biggest thing spoiling our hobby, and even putting potentially interested people off our hobby. For beginners, much of the UK night sky is just not dark enough to allow them to locate and see even the brightest DSO's, leaving the moon and planets or brighter stars, which may not be sufficient to captivate and retain their interest.

This awful light pollution probably means that we all have to spend more than twice as much on bigger equipment, just to see what should be visible if we even had something approaching mag 6 skies and far cheaper equipment.

Come on EMSers, we should be all over this, doing everything we can to get this petition into parliament and make that difference! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I have emailed our Sherwood observervatory' club secretary, asking her to pass on the relative info and links to all our members, for this cause! ?

That UK map on the website

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119428

showing where the petition signers are, could get very interesting with more signatures, but I'm struggling to put any interpretation on it at the moment. Except to say that the east midlands is not showing much interest in it just yet :nonono:

I have just signed - no. 1330.

Looking at the map it is interesting that the areas with most signatures are where light pollution is less severe. Perhaps because there is chance to save those areas and the rest may as well give up. I live 10 miles from Lincoln but imaging M57 the other night there was a significant gradient due to light pollution over a 1.5 deg field and my nearest street lights are a mile away. At the Lincoln AS observatory the worst problems are caused by security lighting that is poorly directed and far too bright. If the 80 million people living in the UK in the 2030's are to see any stars something needs to be done.

And me too.....number 1633.

I'll let DDAS know about this as well. Hopefully a few more from them.

Two days in and it's looking like 1000 per day signing up.

It will be disappointing if it loses impetus, but fingers crossed. :thumbsup:

Keep sharing on Facebook and Twitter. Amazing how far that can go :)