• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Petition to regulate light pollution.

Daz Type-R

My local club 'Sherwood Astronomy club',at the Mansfielf and Sutton observervatory have now posted the petition campaign details to all our members ?

It is gathering momentum... It now stands at. 2368, but there's a way to go... ?

• Like 2

Signed, number 2,754. The sodium streetlights around my area have just been replaced with LED downlighters. There is a noticeable difference in the sky.

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 16:47, xanthic said:

Signed, number 2,754. The sodium streetlights around my area have just been replaced with LED downlighters. There is a noticeable difference in the sky.

Marvellous, glad you like them. :thumbsup:

Hope the LED's get fitted near me soon, but I doubt it. We have antique looking lamp posts with old gas light style lanterns on top. They don't have particularly bright bulbs, but the light does come out horizontally as well as up. They look nice, but are very inefficient. The one outside my house has an intermittent fault ;)

It is now almost a third of the way there at 3,300, so a long way to go yet...?

Blimey, it's a poor showing. I don't know how you can get the message out there other than the usual social media. It don't look like this one will fly.

I don't know what else we can do, it's on here, SGL and UK Astrobuy and sell.

:dontknow:

2 hours ago, BAZ said:

Blimey, it's a poor showing. I don't know how you can get the message out there other than the usual social media. It don't look like this one will fly.

1 hour ago, Daz Type-R said:

I don't know what else we can do, it's on here, SGL and UK Astrobuy and sell.

:dontknow:

Just checked and it is only at 3352.

the progress is very disappointing. It needs 100,000 signatures to properly get something done. That is 1 in 700 of the UK population. I would have thought there are that many people with at least a casual interest in this. But it is not looking good to even get to 10000 signatures! :(

It would be great if the Sky at Night team could bring this to the publics attention on prime time TV. 

Most people in the UK think that we need lights to stop criminal activity from happening.

I have asked many non astro family and friends in the past and they all say they do not want it dark.

11 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

It would be great if the Sky at Night team could bring this to the publics attention on prime time TV. 

Sadly I don't think the Beeb can, they have to supposedly remain politically neutral. It would be great if they could allude to it though.

12 hours ago, BAZ said:

Sadly I don't think the Beeb can, they have to supposedly remain politically neutral. It would be great if they could allude to it though.

You're right of course Martyn. :(

Very disappointed about the lack of interest in this petition. I overestimated the number of astronomers in the UK.

I am pretty sure that the vast majority of people likely to sign up are still unaware of the petition.

Perhaps magazines like 'Sky at Night' and 'Astronomy Now'could raise awareness...

I have sent an email to Astronomy Now mag editor asking if they can raise awareness... 

Cheers

• Like 2

On 21 May 2016 at 07:42, BAZ said:

The BBC politically neutral...........?   :rofl:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

I have sent an email to Astronomy Now mag editor asking if they can raise awareness... 

Cheers

Nice one Steve. A great idea and very positive move. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

Stands at 4814 at moment... Less than half way...

:screwloose:

:evil: Is there any room over on the dark side for me?