• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Petition to regulate light pollution.

Daz Type-R

2 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

Astrobuysell site has posted an advert for the petition.

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=112781

There hope yet!

:)

Good to see it on there as well. :)

Will hang on to my eyepieces a bit longer then. :thumbsup: 

If anyone has any suggestions how we might help boost it further, please post ideas. My daughter has posted it around her university network and old sixth form group, and apparently a lot of them have signed up. I would imagine that there are a lot of people (not necessarily stargazers) that would sign, if they were made aware of it.

We need to spread the word round the nature lot like RSPCA or the birding equivalent.

Im sure I have read somewhere that LP affects migrations or breeding ETC.

22 minutes ago, Daz Type-R said:

We need to spread the word round the nature lot like RSPCA or the birding equivalent.

Im sure I have read somewhere that LP affects migrations or breeding ETC.

Excellent idea. :thumbsup:

Here is an interesting article about it...

http://darksky.org/light-pollution/wildlife/

Edited by Tweedledee

Could be worth posting the darksky.org wildlife link 2 posts up to these forums as well as the petition link.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an update.

The petition has reached 9400 and is rising at a rate of between 1 and 2 signatures per minute. At that rate it might reach 10000 by the end of the day, which means that the government will respond. Assuming they aren't too busy with any other stuff at the moment.

Several days ago, a different petition was rising at a rate of over 3000 per minute.

40 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Here's an update.

The petition has reached 9400 and is rising at a rate of between 1 and 2 signatures per minute. At that rate it might reach 10000 by the end of the day, which means that the government will respond. Assuming they aren't too busy with any other stuff at the moment.

Several days ago, a different petition was rising at a rate of over 3000 per minute.

Might have to let the dust settle a bit, I'd leave it a week or so before raising it in 'the house' :D

I am sure Boris etc will get em turned off eventually!

Another 3 weeks to get to 10000 (before the petition closes), can it be done?

Please to see from the map that there is a noticeably higher vote in the main areas of our membership. NW Leicestershire now has all of 25, Rushcliffe 32! Exceptions though, Nottingham N&S and Derby S are very low, which seems strange?

Alan

The timing of this petition has not been good. Light pollution or not there are no dark skies at this time of year. It should have been when Stargazing Live is on tv and and put it out on air and through all the local events across the UK. Hopefully it will get to the 10,000. There is no political benefit in takling light pollution so it will be a similar reply to the one received when I wrote to our MP. The reply was as below

"Dear Mr Winstanley,

Thank you for your email - Stephen has asked me to reply on his behalf.

Stephen recently wrote to the responsible minister about this issue, and was assured that, although there are currently no plans to introduce the legislation you suggest, the Government is aware of the problem. The National Planning Policy Framework now includes consideration of the impact of light pollution and encourages planning that limits it. Local authorities are responsible for the street lighting in their area, but the Government is encouraging them to replace lighting with LEDs where it is feasible to do so, in order to reduce glare, and to make use of best practice guides on lighting.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best wishes,

Emma

Emma Salisbury

Senior Parliamentary Assistant

Office of Stephen Phillips QC MP

House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA"

10,000 signatures at 20:43 29th July 2016 :2thumbsup:  :clapping::drinks:

Well, we need something to celebrate.

That 10K took some getting to though. Been watching it on and off all day and these last 10 minutes and 5 signatures seemed like 10 hours! :rolleyes:

I must seem like a right sad case watching that petition.:lol:

Edited by Tweedledee

I'm a bit late to the party, but I've just signed it:blush:

Edited by M.