• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

David Bowies Space Oddity is wrong! Space rant!

Dean Watson

The lyric is 'Ground control to Major Tom'.  Now this is wrong, as according to aeronautical and astronautical parlance it is common practice for the party who initiates conversation to ask first for the party they wish to speak to and then say who they are (presumably to attract the attention directly of who you want to speak to and allow anyone else on that frequency to ignore you as irrelevant to them).

This is wrong and symptomatic of the general dumbing down of society.  I mean, I wouldn't mind but when Chris Hadfield played it on the ISS he repeated the error.  Lets face it, he should know better.

Is it just me or is this really annoying?

Does anyone else have any fake space related rants they want to get off their chest?

And it would be CapCom anyway.

How about flight dynamics and breaking Newtons three laws in just about every space movie ever made... ;)

Capcom- Youre right, and its always an astronaut anyway so they really should know better.  God, it makes my blood boil!

1 hour ago, DeanWatson said:

Is it just me or is this really annoying?

Does anyone else have any fake space related rants they want to get off their chests?

I think it is just you, but with a bit of thought you could probably make your version rhyme just as well :)

But did they actually take protein pills up there!? :D

And - How much protein would you get from something the size of a pill you could swallow.  Not worth bothering.  You are doing nothing for my rising blood pressure.

And don't get me started on 'I lost my heart to a starship trooper'.  I just get so ANGRY!!!!!   Catch me on a night imaging when I forget to put the mirror on the flip mirror back....

You obviously have a problem with music - its not supposed to be a manual on "how to" - Next you will be complaining there are no "spiders on Mars".:D Like all things thespian and the like they have a right to not be factually correct.  Much of A.C Clarke's 2001 Space Odyssey,H.G.Well World of the Worlds, Jules Verne Time Machine etc are factually rubbish in parts but great reads and inspiration to young people (it was to me) so no its not part of the "dumbing down of society" - IMHO.

Ok its that time of year for Astronomers - light nights and little to talk about.

Hey, I've actually seen the spiders on Mars in one of my big eyepieces. Or was that coma? :chin_scratch2::D

I think Stash from the tone of your note you might just possibly be missing the tongue very firmly planted in my cheek?

As to coma, well, I've been in a few...