• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which EP for my 10 inch Meade

Graham

Ok ok

So when you have picked yourselves up off the floor by me a dedicated imager asking this question.

I want one half decent eye piece so I can do some (dare I say it visual) stuff whilst the imaging rig is running.

Thanks

Graham

i have a EP 12mm i think Morpheus but no idea whether it would be any good for your scope as I dont

really use eyepieces.  Got it really cheap :D  Was for a mount nearly removing my head :)  

You are welcome to it if you want it  here is the review of it

Very nice eyepiece Graham. It will work fine in your scope for higher power :thumbsup:

Hi Graham, below is my spreadsheet (snapshot) of AFOV's TFOV's + magnifications etc for eyepieces used on my 10" Meade LX200 GPS... If you do decide to get more than 1 ??

image.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sheila said:

i have a EP 12mm i think Morpheus but no idea whether it would be any good for your scope as I dont

really use eyepieces.  Got it really cheap :D  Was for a mount nearly removing my head :)  

You are welcome to it if you want it  here is the review of it

Thank you very much for the extremely generous offer Sheila.

I would love to have that.

Many thanks. :love:

3 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

Hi Graham, below is my spreadsheet (snapshot) of AFOV's TFOV's + magnifications etc for eyepieces used on my 10" Meade LX200 GPS... If you do decide to get more than 1 ??

image.jpeg

Thanks Stephen. Its only taken me several years to get one, I think two would just be pushing it :lol:

3 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yea yea I know :rofl:

4 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Very nice eyepiece Graham. It will work fine in your scope for higher power :thumbsup:

Thanks Pete.

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1

You could now start to build up a nice eyepiece collection Graham :)

Steve has a good range above, some might say way too many to choose from :facepalm:

To go with Sheilas Morpheus 12.5mm, you could do with a nice long focal length up to a maximum of say 56mm for your widest field and a couple of intermediate focal lengths between these two.

With your long focal length LX200, you wouldn't often get chance to use anything very much shorter than 12.5mm. Maybe a 7mm on a couple of really excellent nights a year.

You'll find a few good bargains on astrobuysell or ebay. They usually retain their value quite well, so if you don't get on with it, you'll probably sell it for what you paid, or possibly more if you bargained them down in the first place. The other thing is that F10 is quite forgiving on eyepiece quality, so you don't necessarily need to spend a fortune on high end eyepieces.

Hope you start to enjoy some visual :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Pete there will no danger of me collecting EP's.

I am and forever will be an imager.

How you folks stand there in the freezing cold looking through Telescopes for hours on end quite frankly amazes me, I much prefer to sit in my nice warm room on a comfy chair next to the radiator and watch the subs roll in. 

Edited by Graham
  • Like 2

Thought you'd say that Graham.

But you might find that just one is not enough :)

You are right there Pete, you just cannot stop at one! :lol:

A 40mm or bigger will give you a nice wide field view, some objects don't need much magnification. Good on ya Graham.

Come on fellers I have conceded to one what more do you expect :rofl:

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

That's just the start of it.

Soon you'll be eyeing-up an Ethos :D

No chance the imaging side of things costs me enough :lol:

I'd consider with one of these......

Tele-vue 55mm Plossl  (50 deg fov)

or maybe a Vixen LVW 42mm  (65 deg fov)

If it was me though, i'd probably opt for the...

Tele-vue 41mm Panoptic (68 deg fov)

All of the above are good investments, with little in the way of depreciation.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Come on fellers I have conceded to one what more do you expect :rofl:

Well Graham... Glad you are thinking of some photon therapy... ?

But...

One EP on its own will be sad and lonely! It is well known that EP's are gregarious and prefer living in a case with other EP's ;)

They are a bit like knives forks and spoons... You don't just have one fork in your cutlery drawer do you? :rolleyes:

Anyway, i don't think you are even allowed to have just one... Someone would have to report you to the RSPCE (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Eyepieces) :D

Three would be a minimum requirement, (to start with), For high power, the Morpheus 12.5mm is ideal. But a high power EP won't allow you to see most things and it will be difficult to find things too, so you could also do with a medium powered EP of say 20mm and a low power EP of around 30mm to 40mm. Then you would pretty much find and see anything! ? I won't go into AFOV at this moment. :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graham said:

No chance the imaging side of things costs me enough :lol:

Just sell the camera then :P

You probably wish you'd never started this thread :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tweedledee said:

Just sell the camera then :P

You probably wish you'd never started this thread :D

Sell the camera :o :punish2: such blasphemy should not be allowed :rofl: 

I have even seen Sheila look through an eyepiece, go on, come over to the Light side. Walk towards the light Graham. :lol: 

21 minutes ago, BAZ said:

I have even seen Sheila look through an eyepiece, go on, come over to the Light side. Walk towards the light Graham. :lol: 

Not a chance.

The Dark side rules. :rockon:

I mean if it was not for us Dark siders you light side folks would never know what those fuzzy objects you stare at really look like :rofl:

Edited by Graham
  • Like 2

Indeed - In fact, I'm going to come right out and say it.  Imaging is the only way really....as.... lets face it....most deep sky objects are a bit of a disappointment visually really aren't they?  Let the punch up commence.

41 minutes ago, DeanWatson said:

Indeed - In fact, I'm going to come right out and say it.  Imaging is the only way really....as.... lets face it....most deep sky objects are a bit of a disappointment visually really aren't they?  Let the punch up commence.

from an imager  ....  no i dont agree :o that is a surprise coming from me who does not really use and eyepiece on my kit

I only do imaging but i can see the joy on some faces (even if it is a little fuzzy dot) of the visual guys spotting a faint fuzzy.  Nothing like

seeing something with your own eyes, is there chaps :)   Although I like the images I produce, I still go a steal a look through

someone elses telescope at some of the targets I image :) 

• Like 4

Apart from events like the birth of my children and my own wedding etc. I have never experienced such inspiration, excitement and sheer happiness as when observing visually from a really dark sky site. Just being there under the infinite dome of the night sky experiencing the stars and odd meteors etc. with my own eyes just fills me with wonder. When a cluster of shimmering diamonds exposes its breathtaking glory and innermost secrets through the eyepiece I feel so privileged to see such a wonder. When I manually search for and eventually locate that elusive nebula, even though it is the tiniest wisp of ethereal breath on the limit of averted vision, what a thrill! The detection of a few ancient photons by my very own retina from that 13th magnitude galaxy over 50 million light years away, makes the hairs on the back my neck stand up and sends tingles up and down my spine. To watch that three dimensional globe of Jupiter or Saturn with moons orbiting over several hours in real time, and to expand the lunar surface so it seems you are flying a space ship over it is mind blowing. My telescope is like a time machine giving me the freedom to travel anywhere in time and space.

There are nights when the eyepiece views are disappointing visually, but for me that only happens when the sky is poor. But for me, there is little to beat the buzz of a perfect night of visual observing.

I'd rather be freezing half to death experiencing the above than sitting in front of a laptop watching the subs roll in. That may have something to do with the fact that I'm as thick as a plank when it comes to imaging. I have every respect for you imagers and I'm in awe of what you can do. And just hope you get similar thrills capturing and processing your superb pictures.

What a wonderful hobby, dark side included :thumbsup:

• Like 3