• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which EP for my 10 inch Meade

Graham

13 hours ago, Ibbo said:

Std answer

low power 40mm ish

medium power 20mm ish

high power 9mm ish

i do in fact have a selection of the eye thingies and the most used are the 20mm and 16mm for me

Now come on Steve, dont be coy, I seem to remember some eyepieces appearing from various Of your pockets at an SGL once, I seem to remember them being made by some company beginning with T and ending with an I :-)

53 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Apart from events like the birth of my children and my own wedding etc. I have never experienced such inspiration, excitement and sheer happiness as when observing visually from a really dark sky site. Just being there under the infinite dome of the night sky experiencing the stars and odd meteors etc. with my own eyes just fills me with wonder. When a cluster of shimmering diamonds exposes its breathtaking glory and innermost secrets through the eyepiece I feel so privileged to see such a wonder. When I manually search for and eventually locate that elusive nebula, even though it is the tiniest wisp of ethereal breath on the limit of averted vision, what a thrill! The detection of a few ancient photons by my very own retina from that 13th magnitude galaxy over 50 million light years away, makes the hairs on the back my neck stand up and sends tingles up and down my spine. To watch that three dimensional globe of Jupiter or Saturn with moons orbiting over several hours in real time, and to expand the lunar surface so it seems you are flying a space ship over it is mind blowing. My telescope is like a time machine giving me the freedom to travel anywhere in time and space.

There are nights when the eyepiece views are disappointing visually, but for me that only happens when the sky is poor. But for me, there is little to beat the buzz of a perfect night of visual observing.

I'd rather be freezing half to death experiencing the above than sitting in front of a laptop watching the subs roll in. That may have something to do with the fact that I'm as thick as a plank when it comes to imaging. I have every respect for you imagers and I'm in awe of what you can do. And just hope you get similar thrills capturing and processing your superb pictures.

What a wonderful hobby, dark side included :thumbsup:

The greatest thrill of my Astro life was the first view I ever got of Saturn.

It was through my old 200 Helios newt and as general issue 10mm EP.

I do not think it will ever be surpassed as it is so deeply burned into my memory.

Even when I image her it is never the same as actually looking at her.

• Like 3

Oh yes, in imagination I agree, knowing what something is etc etc is great.  But as something to look at most stuff is far from spectacular.

Well generally I am sitting outside freezing at a dark site whilst the subs roll in :lol:

• Like 3

I like all aspects of astronomy, especially observing, and I keep promising myself a serious go at imaging. The only bit I don't think I could get into is sketching - though I admire the folks who can. Last thing I drew was a house in the sun with a path, picket fence, and smoke coming out the chimney - think I was five lol :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DeanWatson said:

Oh yes, in imagination I agree, knowing what something is etc etc is great.  But as something to look at most stuff is far from spectacular.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Dean, based on our understanding and our appreciation of the subject matter! :), whether we are looking at actual images presented by a scope and eyepiece as visual observers, or looking at images that have been 'created' by an imager.

if it was not for imagers or something like the Hubble collecting lots of data on a object, we would not be aware of most of the stuff that's out there.

I love to look at Astro pictures...

No doubt, it is mostly all the fabulous amazing images, quite understandably embellished to a degree to emphasize detail ;), that inspire most people to get interested in this great hobby in the first place ?

As a visual observer, I am only too aware that my eyes are limited in their capacity to capture a few photons in a narrow spectrum of visible light waves and my brain again is limited to process the incoming nerve impulses into visual images.

But I accept and understand my limitations.

So to me the faint fuzzy galaxies, the grey Orions nebula and ring nebula, the serene planets, the detail on the moon are spectacular wondrous sights to behold! I love it. 

The dark side and the light side are like both sides of the same coin, just like space and time! They each complement each other!

Cheers!

3 minutes ago, DeanWatson said:

No argument from me, I'm mostly playing devils advocate!

?

i blame Graham for stirring up all these passions Dean :D

i bet he sticks to no EP's despite all this sound advice! :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DeanWatson said:

No argument from me, I'm mostly playing devils advocate!

So we've gathered Dean :D :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Smithysteve said:

?

i blame Graham for stirring up all these passions Dean :D

i bet he sticks to no EP's despite all this sound advice! :)

Steve, I wouldn't let Dean off the hook so lightly ;)

• Like 1

The Ep from Sheila arrived today. 

I set up the meade and had a look at the moon. 

The views just blew me away. 

That is the first time I have ever seen the shadows being cast by the mountains. 

Quite an eye opener I must admit. 

Many thanks to Sheila for her generosity. 

The other thing it has shown me after looking at Jupiter is how badly I need to collimate the meade. :rofl:

• Like 2

Wow! you got a Wow from an eyepiece! ?

Seeing is believing!

Like AP hardware, things have come on a bit in the Ep dept too, in fact ever since since  Al Nagler got involved...

So glad you you have tried out the Morpheus... 

You have got a foot in both camps now Graham  :D

It's about time he came out and got himself a set of eps. :D

He just needs a bit more encouragement.

No more encouragement needed.

I now have my EP collection sorted -- one good 12.5 :rofl:

Sorry all, I think I'm starting to (in the nicest possible way I hope!) develop a reputation for naughtiness!  A bit of friendly controversy I always think is never a bad thing... In fact just had another thought for a thread come on, following on from 'guns in space!' and 'Hostile aliens!'.

5 hours ago, DeanWatson said:

Sorry all, I think I'm starting to (in the nicest possible way I hope!) develop a reputation for naughtiness!  A bit of friendly controversy I always think is never a bad thing... In fact just had another thought for a thread come on, following on from 'guns in space!' and 'Hostile aliens!'.

cant wait :harhar:  :lol:  

Well if my first views through the new EP were astounding last night was even better.

I spent an hour collimating the Meade using Jupiter.

Should have taken a lot less time but with sods law I adjusted the wrong screw to start with and then had to get it back into line to start again. :facepalm:

Once I had it set up correctly the views were amazing.

I could see all the bands and the GRS.

I had the simple pleasure of watching one of her moons slide out from behind Jupiter and continue on its orbit. The three other moons were strung out in a line on her other side.

Moving over to the moon I spent a good while just hopping from area to area taking in the different terrains.

All in all a pleasant evening all round. 

• Like 3

Good for you Graham, glad you are 'seeing' another side to this great hobby ?

You are "getting it" !

The LX200 is a great scope and the Morpheus is a super eyepiece, no doubt you will be having lots more wow sessions to come.

Saturn is so low at the moment, but a lovely buttery colour, it's the most beautiful planet to gaze upon, it is well worth a look.. And you will be able to make out a few of its moons too... ?

Keep us informed Graham, of your next viewing session ?, (and your next EP:)

On Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 10:44, Smithysteve said:

Keep us informed Graham, of your next viewing session ?, (and your next EP:)

Graham might just shock us all after his eye operation, by getting a binoviewer to make the most of both eyes :D