• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

3 planets and the ISS. What a night.

Graham

Seems very strange to be putting something up in this section. :facepalm:

As dusk fell around Nine tonight I decided to set the Meade up in the hope the hazy clouds would lift.

Even as I was setting up the gaps were beginning to appear.

Armed with my one and only eye piece I aligned on Jupiter.

Even though it was still light I was rewarded with a spectacular sight of Jupiter and 4 moons strung out in a line.

As the darkness moved in strangely the view steadily got worse and worse.

Undaunted by the decreasing seeing and excited by the fact Mars had cleared the neighbours trees I swung the Meade round for a look.

Sitting low in the sky and sadly just above the glow from Ipswich docks Mars was a little less than I had hoped for. 

No decernable details like the polar caps were visible but the unmistakeable colour was a treat to see.

By now it was past midnight and I was treated to an unexpected but brilliant overhead fly past of the ISS.

At least I hope it was the ISS otherwise someone was going to get a very large satellite landing in their back garden. :lol:

My thoughts then turned to Saturn.

Peering through the murk and gloom I could just make out the faintest glow amongst the top branches of that pesky tree.

Not expecting to see much after the lack of detail in Mars I sent the scope round to have a look.

To my amazement the view I was treated to through the EP was out of this world. 

The grand old lady was sitting there in all her glory all be it in a strange buttery yellow colour.

The rings were clearly visible and well defined.

I just stood there looking at her for what seemed like a few minuets in fact it turned out to be over an hour.

I would probably still be standing there had the scope not dewed up and brought me back to reality.

So there you have it three planets and the ISS in one night.

I could just get into this visual lark during these lighter nights. :)

• Like 3

I was also doing the same thing

Jupiter early on Mars with polar cap and saturn with rings this time, unlike the other week when it looked like a mug with 2 handles even managed the gap in the rings :o

Finished off by ruining my vision for packing away by having a squint at the moon odd colour in the murk

don't tell anybody though

now where is my webcam

• Like 2

Well done chaps, pleased to see you have been doing it properly :P 

Nice report Graham.

6 hours ago, Graham said:

Seems very strange to be putting something up in this section. :facepalm:

As dusk fell around Nine tonight I decided to set the Meade up in the hope the hazy clouds would lift.

Even as I was setting up the gaps were beginning to appear.

Armed with my one and only eye piece I aligned on Jupiter.

Even though it was still light I was rewarded with a spectacular sight of Jupiter and 4 moons strung out in a line.

As the darkness moved in strangely the view steadily got worse and worse.

Undaunted by the decreasing seeing and excited by the fact Mars had cleared the neighbours trees I swung the Meade round for a look.

Sitting low in the sky and sadly just above the glow from Ipswich docks Mars was a little less than I had hoped for. 

No decernable details like the polar caps were visible but the unmistakeable colour was a treat to see.

By now it was past midnight and I was treated to an unexpected but brilliant overhead fly past of the ISS.

At least I hope it was the ISS otherwise someone was going to get a very large satellite landing in their back garden. :lol:

My thoughts then turned to Saturn.

Peering through the murk and gloom I could just make out the faintest glow amongst the top branches of that pesky tree.

Not expecting to see much after the lack of detail in Mars I sent the scope round to have a look.

To my amazement the view I was treated to through the EP was out of this world. 

The grand old lady was sitting there in all her glory all be it in a strange buttery yellow colour.

The rings were clearly visible and well defined.

I just stood there looking at her for what seemed like a few minuets in fact it turned out to be over an hour.

I would probably still be standing there had the scope not dewed up and brought me back to reality.

So there you have it three planets and the ISS in one night.

I could just get into this visual lark during these lighter nights. :)

Welcome to the club Graham! ?

You obviously had a great night!  Saturn does it for me too ?

That was a lovely read Graham. Glad you had an enjoyable session. :)

If you don't already have one, you need a good dew shield for that SCT. I like the Astro zap ones that combine a dew heater and physical shield.

You could get used to this seeing things as they really are lark. :lol:

A great read Graham, I like your style.

41 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

If you don't already have one, you need a good dew shield for that SCT. I like the Astro zap ones that combine a dew heater and physical shield.

Seconded, that's the dew shield I have on my 10" LX200 Graham, I used it through the winter.

I just slip it on the end, it just takes 1 second to fit and I have had no dew problems so far. ?

Oh, and a heater for your eyepiece(s) is good too! :D

Edited by Smithysteve

6 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

That was a lovely read Graham. Glad you had an enjoyable session. :)

I do have a dew shield but was not using it as it was not that cold I was a bit surprised by the amount that suddenly appeared.

5 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

Seconded, that's the dew shield I have on my 10" LX200 Graham, I used it through the winter.

I just slip it on the end, it just takes 1 second to fit and I have had no dew problems so far. ?

Oh, and a heater for your eyepiece(s) is good too! :D

Heaters for eps next you will be telling me I need a fancy case for it to live in. 

5 hours ago, BAZ said:

You could get used to this seeing things as they really are lark. :lol:

A great read Graham, I like your style.

Thanks 

A very nice report Graham I have yet to see both plants as seeing has been very bad my end of the woods