Welcome to East Midlands Stargazers

You're only one step away from joining the local astronomy forum for the East Midlands area... Join today!

Dave Amendall

LED STREET LIGHTING

6 posts in this topic

We have just had the new LED Street lights installed to replace the old sodium lighting. These are much brighter than the sodium lights. Your comments and experiences with these would be welcome. Also anybody recommend a decent filter to help to combat them for imaging and observing.......regards Dave

Hi Dave, with regards to filters for LED lights, I'm pretty certain there is no such thing.

I have had the LED lights installed outside my house for about 8 months now and think they improve the view from my back garden.  While they are brighter, they direct all their light downwards, not in every direction like the old orange sodium lights.

Thumbs up from me for LED lights.

Hello Darren, Your remarks are re assuring. I am in Bingham and the leds were installed yesterday. My house shelters the back garden from them and as you say at least they shine down. but they are bright........................Dave

We had the white LED's installed about a month ago.

The light is certainly more directional (downwards) and the septic orange glow is pretty much gone, I'll reserve judgement on how much darker my skies are until we start getting back into winter as the lighter summer skies make it harder to tell.

As for filters .... as far as I know the new led's are a much broader spectrum, if you filter it all out you'll also filter out the very star light you want to see.

I think the narrowband imagers will be OK, but visual may just be a case of getting used to it ......  or getting out to one of the dark skies sites.

One thing I do know is that my Astronomik EOS clip filter is just about redundant!

Hi All

just to let you know ,I had the same trouble with LED's shining into my back garden, I got onto the local lighting department and they not only dimmed the light in question but also put a shield on for me to stop the glare into the back garden, its got to be worth a go?

regards

Rick

djpaul and Tweedledee like this

27 minutes ago, ricktom said:

Hi All

just to let you know ,I had the same trouble with LED's shining into my back garden, I got onto the local lighting department and they not only dimmed the light in question but also put a shield on for me to stop the glare into the back garden, its got to be worth a go?

regards

Rick

Brilliant result. :thumbsup: