• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

saw first detail on mars last night

AstroHobbyman

I failed the other night to get any detail on mars but it was still my best so far,  then  last night with the sky just as bad I thought I would try stacking two Barlows together , well I managed to get something! :D

Barlow mars.jpg

mars one barlow.jpg

• Like 1

Top image  has x2 the focal length of the lower image to show the difference  , it's a bit dim and the lens coating is coming off the old Barlow but its enough to get an improvement. I tryed Saturn doing this but it did not  improve  due to I believe being dimmer. Roll on 2018 with Mars closer and higher.

• Like 1

Lots to see before 2018 Neil :) Mars will come again and go again!

Interestingly Saturn and Mars will also be very close at some point in 2018 ...

I think they will be a lot of poor shots of mars in 2018 because it will be even lower for us than it is now! shame as it will be  94% of  max size compared to 71% now  , nobody's getting any younger but after consulting Stellarium and the google interweb  2020 seems to be  for the sweet spot for size and favourable declination and the same for  Saturn in 2021. Max declination Dec 2032 but as you say lots to see before that!

http://www.nakedeyeplanets.com/mars-oppositions.htm http://www.nakedeyeplanets.com/saturn.htm