• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hawking speaking not about physics

Dean Watson

Ok, heres a possibly (!) contentious one...

Now as I'm sure we'll all (I assume...) agree that Stephen Hawking is a theoretical physicist par excellence.  No need for discussion on that.  However, as I'm (and of course by extension the general populace outside our community) sure we're all aware there are often quotes in the media and elsewhere referring to Hawkings opinions on anything from artificlal intelligence to global warming.  Of course, clearly a highly intelligent man (well in his own field anyway as demonstrated by the evidence) generally, but then surely many of us are highly intelligent generally (when it does not come to rarefied theoretical physics).

I guess what i'm proposing is (and absolutely no disrespect to the referred person) is that as a society we tend to look for (in the media anyway) intellectual 'flagships' without necessarily paying attention to their competence to comment on the field in question (look at Liz Bonnin on Stargazing Live, I believe shes a biologist but shes a scientist you know so it must be alright!) and therefore perhaps pay undue reverence to their opinions by virtue of them being an 'intellect'.

Sagan himself used to make it a point to encourage questioning 'authority' including scientific authority.

By paying undue attention to only reasonably informed opinions from non experts in a field (whatever their achievements otherwise)  do we risk giving  - what are only opinions - undue credit based on their originators prominence?

4 hours ago, DeanWatson said:

Ok, heres a possibly (!) contentious one...

That's a surprise. :)

I unquestioningly believe everything you say Dean. :thumbsup:

However, if Kim Kardashian argued to the contrary, I may have to reconsider my allegiance on the grounds of her superior prominence. :D

I think the wheat gets sorted from the chaff eventually.

Did you know that according to a recent survey, 51% of Americans have been abducted by aliens at some time in their lives. :o

• Like 1

Just spotted this which is an example of what we are talking about. While I think this man is doing a lot of ground breaking stuff, personally, I am forced to take the title statement and first part of the article as complete pie in the sky. I could have spouted all that after a few beers. :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/02/elon-musk-tesla-space-x-paypal-hyperloop-simulation

Exactly what I mean Pete!

I mean, I suppose theres a value in prominent figures speculating on sciency subjects in public (to raise sciences profile generally) but I cant help but think that it tends to perhaps as you say above get into UFO territory and whatnot and thus devalue any actual serious conversation to be had on subjects.  These people (including Hawking et al) are no better informed on these subjects then any of us (Hell, I've been reading good quality SF, immersed in astronomy, space sciences etc - you know space elevators, solar sails, hypothetical real world interstellar propulsion, etc etc all my life - since around 5 when my dad gave me clippings from the moon landings).  I'd venture these peoples opinions feed into the mainstream only on the basis of their fame in their own fields rather than actually knowing what they are talking about.