• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New lens technology

Tweedledee

Well, that is amazing Pete! :o

it looks quite possible that very large lenses could be made that are cheap and have no chromatic aberration! Present day apochromats will become redundant if they get this stuff right!

Bring it on! ?

We live in exciting times with all sorts of emerging technologies. The links at the bottom of that website also make fascinating reading, metamaterials with variable and even programmable mechanical properties and invisibility cloaks.

14 hours ago, Brantuk said:

I'm already imaging a 20" dob made with this stuff.... :)

Forget dobs, just get a nice simple lightweight carbon fibre 20" F3 apo. It'll probably fit nicely on an EQ5 and tripod. :)

• 1 year later...

Wow, the thickness of a human hair, around 0.005" thick, that is amazing.

Edited by BAZ

Interesting developments.

But some way to go i think before we can dust of the champagne...

The width of a human hair is around half that Martyn : approx 0.00275" or to keep it easier (for me)  0.07mm

Now look at how tiny the size of the wavelength of visible light is  0.0005mm

Last year i had a couple of visits to Orion Optics.

They can routinely produce optics with a much much higher surface accuracy than that  0.000031mm which equates to around 

2000 times finer that the width of a human hair.

Fascinating stuff but what does it all mean to me, the average UK 50 year old night sky enthusiast ?? With dodgy 50 year old eyesight ?  :blink:

I don't think it matters how good my optics are, whether they are 1/4 wave, 1/10th wave or even 1/50 wave.

Theres too many other variables as we all know, that spoil my views on a reoccurring basis.

But anyway........sign me up for a 12" f3 refractor. Just as long as it will go on my mount ;)

38618963635_22596dd1f9_o.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

58 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

The width of a human hair

Think they are referring to the actual width of the lens itself.

Arr yes, i see it now.

Its an interesting development for sure ; don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to knock it.

But i'm not sure i understand how this technology is better than a mirror for visual astronomy purposes though ?