Welcome to East Midlands Stargazers

You're only one step away from joining the local astronomy forum for the East Midlands area... Join today!

Daz Type-R

June monthly meet - Saturday 18th June @ 20:00.

29 posts in this topic

All,

The June monthly meet is scheduled for Saturday 18th June at our Wymeswold dark site, start time slightly later of 20:00.

I know the last monthly meet was at Wymeswold but due to cancellations and other factors, I have had to meet at Wymeswold again.

Tea, coffee and a selection of nibbles (nibbles are subject to me remembering to pick some up) will be available, please remember to bring your own mug and £1 to cover the costs of the refreshments.

Like previous meets, there will be an opportunity for you to ask any questions, bring any kit you need us to look at, help with collimation ETC, just shout up below so we can bring the necessary kit with us (if required).

On the agenda for this month is something slightly different.

I have managed to get a speaker in called Rosie Johnson from Leicester Uni.  Rosie is doing her PHD, studying Jupiter's aurora and aurora on other gas giants.  She has spent time on Hawaii and her talk and presentation deck will be about her time on Hawaii and her use of the large telescopes that are based there.  Rosie is also a mentor for the space school UK program (http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/physics/outreach/space-school)  as well as a speaker at a recent soapbox science event (http://soapboxscience.org/).  Rosie's talk will last approximately 30-40 minutes after which I`m hoping she will answer any questions we might have.

After the talk / presentation hopefully if the sky clears then we will be able to do some observing, so weather permitting, bring your kit.

Jupiter will be nicely placed for most of the night, Mars and Saturn will be up, unfortunately there is a rather bright light in the sky (the moon is mag -11 and will be 97% lit) so any DSO searching will be out of the question.

Any questions please feel free to ask away and I hope to see a number of you there.

Directions below if anybody needs them.....

Burton Lane Playing Fields,
Burton Lane,
Wymeswold,
LOUGHBOROUGH,
LE12 6UN

Edited by Daz Type-R
Un-featured.

I'll try to make this, be good to meet a few people. What time do folk generally stop until, out of interest?

24 minutes ago, banners said:

I'll try to make this, be good to meet a few people. What time do folk generally stop until, out of interest?

It depends, at past meets (in winter) when it is dark for 12-14 hours and it has been a cracking clear night, some of us have been there until the sun comes up, other times we stop a few hours and call it quits around 11, purely depends on the weather and who attends.

Should be able to make this one , I'll bring the little frac. Will be nice to have a talk. Will there be enough chairs this time?? Can the cricket club make some available? Just a thought.

There was a load of chairs last weekend hopefully the there will be enough. Should be able to make this one too.

tuckstar likes this

Think I might roll up myself.  I promise I wont start any controversial arguments! (although the one or two topics I've started everyones been most civilised.  Its very frustrating you know).

Can't make it this time unfortunately, sounds interesting too!

Intend to attend, depending on a few factors. Look forward to it.

Me and the new astro dog are coming too - all being well!  This astro dog comes without warnings and red flags lol, he loves a good fuss!

All,

I have been speaking to Rosie quite a bit lately, as well as presenting and talking to us, she is also going to bring with her a memory stick packed with astro photos she took while in Hawaii.  Her plan was to do some time laps videos but never got round to them, she says we are welcome to them if any body is interested?

If so, bring a memory stick with you and we can copy them over there and then, if I can find my memory stick I will also grab a copy in case anybody who cant make it wants to have some southern data to play with.

I have no idea what pictures she took, even if they were attached to a scope or not?

This sounds like a really good presentation, hopefully we can get a good attendance, hope to see lots of you there.

:)

BAZ likes this

Just a gentle reminder, anybody else fancy an evening out?

well i can definitely make this one :) 

Daz Type-R likes this

I'll try and make this one as usual - but it all depends how I feel on the day. :)

Sorry, cannot make this one. I am working nights all over weekend. 

Shame, because after watching sky at night about the whirlpool Galaxy it has got me in the mood to go Galaxy hunting with the big scope.

hoping for clear skies for you all:)

Sorry all, I've just got back home from fence building. I won't be volunteering next time! I hope you get some clear skies 😀

Thanks to all that turned up last night, I thoroughly enjoyed the talk that Rosie put on.

I believe @Perkil8r has got a copy of the raw data that Rosie said we could have, so will be good to see if he can do anything with it.

If you would like a copy of the data, you will need to have a word with Mike, he might be able to put it on Dropbox or something.

Cheers all.

33 minutes ago, Daz Type-R said:

Thanks to all that turned up last night, I thoroughly enjoyed the talk that Rosie put on.

I believe @Perkil8r has got a copy of the raw data that Rosie said we could have, so will be good to see if he can do anything with it.

If you would like a copy of the data, you will need to have a word with Mike, he might be able to put it on Dropbox or something.

Cheers all.

Sadly, when I got home and checked I found that she has copied the wrong images. I did however have some nice pics of random hilltops and winter weather :lol:

I thought Rosie did great, apparently that's the first talk she has ever done, without notes as well. All interesting stuff and a real trudge having to go to Hawai'i for five weeks on a three metre scope. Twice! ( and more in the pipeline).  

Great to see folks and it was a shame the weather didn't cooperate, but then you have more chance of winning the lottery than having a good clear sky.

Having met the new Astro dog it was nice to come back home with all body pats intact, being fair though he never had a go at me. The new one is a lot friendlier and a proper pleasant little thing.

Cazz likes this

45 minutes ago, Perkil8r said:

Sadly, when I got home and checked I found that she has copied the wrong images. I did however have some nice pics of random hilltops and winter weather :lol:

Ahhh, I will drop her a note and see if she can Dropbox the correct ones.

Nice to see folks again and the new member Spit the dog :-)

Rosie did really well for a 1st talk

Edited by philjay
BAZ and Cazz like this

Enjoyed the talk last night.  Good to hear the professionals make mistakes; like forgetting to switch things on!

Thanks to all for organising.