• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New low temperature laser

Tweedledee

Anyone who has seen my other thread...

https://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/11900-learning-curve/

will know that I have been fitting heaters to lasers to make them work at low temperatures. This is by far the fastest way for me to locate objects with the laser aligned on the scope. Except on warm summer nights all other laser pointers are useless for this purpose as they become invisible after just a few minutes of getting cold when exposed on the scope. It seems that currently, ALL low cost laser pointers have a lowest working temperature above 10 degreen C.

I have been in communication with a laser manufacturer who have agreed to make a special new and completely unique green laser pointer that has an operating temperature down to MINUS TEN, yes -10 degrees C! It should work all night at -10C and get dimmer below that temperature. I know that I will also be very dim and not functioning when it gets anywhere near that temperature. :brr:

They will be sending me a model they want me to thoroughly test for them soon, before it goes properly on sale. Not sure exactly how to do it at this time of year, but I have ideas involving a freezer and digital thermometer. :huh:

The initial price is likely to be in the region of £60 to £90, possibly less with more interest.

I'm just trying to gauge if there might be any interest within EMS at this stage. I'm certainly excited about this unique product. Assuming it works to specification, it will be the ONLY one in its class made specially for use by astronomers, straight out of the box, and no messing about with wiring and heaters.

• Like 3

It will be dead simple to test, put it in a transparent container switched on and then spray it with liquid CO2.

The liquid CO2 can be purchased at any plumbing centre as it is used for freezing live water pipes so they can be worked on.

7 minutes ago, Graham said:

It will be dead simple to test, put it in a transparent container switched on and then spray it with liquid CO2.

The liquid CO2 can be purchased at any plumbing centre as it is used for freezing live water pipes so they can be worked on.

Good idea Graham, not thought of that, thanks.

I would have to monitor the temperature and keep it at just below zero for a few hours. :thumbsup:

Nice one Pete! ?

Sounds very interesting, any idea roughly what wattage it is likely to be?

1 hour ago, Smithysteve said:

Nice one Pete! ?

Sounds very interesting, any idea roughly what wattage it is likely to be?

I can tell you fairly precisely Steve. 5 megawatts! :D:D

The specifications are expected to be as follows...

Wavelength 515 +/-10 nm
Output power <5mW (4+/-1mW) Class 3R(3a)
Beam divergence <1mrad
Operating temperature -10C to +50C
Storage temperature -10C to +70C
Operating current <300mA
Voltage 3-5V
Lifetime >5000hrs

In order to achieve the low temperature ability, it has to be 515nm whereas the usual is 532nm. 515nm is at the very slightly bluer end of green, but should still be well on top of its job in cold temperatures at night.

As far as I've been told, the laser should be built and ready to send to me within 3 to 4 weeks.

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 1

Sounds good Pete! I would like to have a look at it if possible, at some point! ?

Cheers!

Interesting thread Pete.

I'll be interested in how you get on with it.

I've mentioned before i have a rather powerful laser pointer.

I've not used it as a 'pointer' or tried it out in cold weather.

I must bring it along to a meet.

19 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

Sounds good Pete! I would like to have a look at it if possible, at some point! ?

Cheers!

Of course Steve. Just watch out for a green glow melting a hole through your dome one night. :D

14 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Interesting thread Pete.

I'll be interested in how you get on with it.

I've mentioned before i have a rather powerful laser pointer.

I've not used it as a 'pointer' or tried it out in cold weather.

I must bring it along to a meet.

Get it bracketed and aligned on your scope Rob. I hope to have a laser heater going spare soon if you want one. :)

Speaking of lasers... Just watching Coldplay at Glastonbury on tv, you should see the lasers on the go! Wow! What a display! :D

2 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

I can tell you fairly precisely Steve. 5 megawatts! :D:D

You mean 5 Milliwatts surely.....:lol:   The difference between the 2 two is the small matter of 5 and 5 BILLION !!!

(Unless you have a nuclear fusion project in the pipeline !)

The specs on my 'light sabre' are as follows :

Output < 2000 mv

Wavelength 532nm +/- 10

Class 3B laser product

It uses a lithium ion 4200mAh 3.7v rechargable battery.

Its over a year old, and i've not as yet had to recharge it.

But i rarely use it, and believe me, i'm very, very careful with it. Definitely not a toy.

Edited by Bino-viewer

that will not be popular with the imagers

or the planes

Edited by Ibbo

Don't worry Steve. I know the rules.

It lives in a very safe place.

(i keep meaning to try balloon bursting with it)

There's cat's in Lancashire trying to chase Rob's dot. :lol:

Lasers can be as divisive, on the one hand they are dead handy for locating objects and on the other they can ruin dark adapted vision and hard won subs of imagers. 

Just stick it in your domestic fridge, they should be down to 3 or 4°C, that would give you an idea that it's up to what is claimed of it.

8 hours ago, Ibbo said:

that will not be popular with the imagers

or the planes

I use mine for a 3 to 4 second blast, which is all it takes to put an object in the eyepiece, then it stays off till the next object. Far quicker than any other finding method. I wouldn't dream of pointing it anywhere near a plane. At star party's I would see if I have any other types of finder available so not to upset imagers. :)

Edited by Tweedledee

8 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

You mean 5 Milliwatts surely.....:lol:   The difference between the 2 two is the small matter of 5 and 5 BILLION !!!

(Unless you have a nuclear fusion project in the pipeline !)

The specs on my 'light sabre' are as follows :

Output < 2000 mv

Wavelength 532nm +/- 10

Class 3B laser product

It uses a lithium ion 4200mAh 3.7v rechargable battery.

Its over a year old, and i've not as yet had to recharge it.

But i rarely use it, and believe me, i'm very, very careful with it. Definitely not a toy.

That's a 2 watt laser then!! Would love to see a pic of that Rob. :thumbsup:

Here you go.......heres the light sabre.

Measures around 18cm long, 2cm wide.

The key you see is a safety isolation feature.

I'm sure it is probably illegal to buy / use them in the UK.

But its wasn't purchased in the UK.

I actually have 2 of them. If you want to borrow one give me a shout.

27935398845_36a76faf1d_z.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

8 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Here you go.......heres the light sabre.

Measures around 18cm long, 2cm wide.

The key you see is a safety isolation feature.

I'm sure it is probably illegal to buy / use them in the UK.

But its wasn't purchased in the UK.

I actually have 2 of them. If you want to borrow one give me a shout.

27935398845_36a76faf1d_z.jpg

If you want to sell your spare, I might be interested in buying it, if you want to PM me Rob. To mess around with responsibly of course, destroying balloons or lighting matches perhaps. :)

As far as I know, it is not illegal to own or use any laser in the UK, whatever its power. Anything over 5mW is not recommended for use by the general public, below this limit there is little likelihood of any permanent eye damage. But they are certainly capable of causing temporary blindness or other eye irritations. The problem comes when a laser is misused. Point it at a plane and you could end up in prison, or make any sort of nuisance with it and you will be in trouble. At the moment the UK has no laws about lasers, just guidelines. It is just like buying and owning knives, hammers or power tools that can do damage, but start brandishing a knife or hammer in public and there will be big trouble.

If you have several grand to spare, you could go and buy a 1000 watt laser to cut through steel. I doubt if you'd fit it in your eyepiece case though. :lol:

He's going to do himself or someone else an injury sooner or later. He'll probably burn the house down with a megawatt laser. :)

I saw this the other day, and doubted its authenticity.

The guy is obviously insane.

But this is America.......

That's not a patch on the alien lasers in Independence Day. Just seen it in 3D. Non-stop action and totally crazy. It just proves that even aliens with 3000 mile diameter spaceships are no match for the US military. :D