• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Anyone heard of this company

Astronigel

Well I don't think I have the full name, but on the side of one of my scopes mirrors are the words "Ast. Equipment Ltd" . Just curious if anyone recognises this name.

Its on my 6" dob..

Also written are mirror details... 6" f/8 1/10 wave.

I know it was 'put together' in East Midlands area.. Leicestershire way.

I removed mirrors to give them a clean, first time I've removed them. Considering how dirty they were it has given some great views for a 6".

I wonder if it could have been Astro Equipment Ltd. I seem to remember a company of that name many years ago, probably 1980's. This dissolved company could be them from March, Cambridgeshire, but I didn't think they were still trading into 2013.

I bet Philjay would know.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08264382

Thankyou Tweedle, 

The scope is one i got a couple yrs ago... last owner said he had used it for many years so it could match up with this company.

Half the reason i decided to clean the optics (been meaning to since i got scope) are this will be my dark site scope for the time being. Can fit it into car easily. 

will look a bit rough against all the skywatcher and such scopes as its a home built type.. . heavy on the wood also. 

ive used it a little on my back yard and was impressed with it . particularly as i have quite poor eyepieces to match an orange city sky...

im looking forward to testing it out at a decent sky with optics i can see again. The main was very dirty almost like it been down a pit :) now its cleaned i can see my face in the mirror :)

Guest Dave Amendall

Yes, It's  Astronomical Equipment (A&E LUTON) They have been out of business a number of years now.Excellent quality products I owned a 12" F5 Newtonian by A&E back in the 80s. Optics by David Hinds It took two men to lift the Equatorial Mount for this Scope. 2 inch axles, an 8" phosphor bronze R.A. worm drive stepper motor and 8" Diameter setting circles. No goto in those days. I eventually sold it. i have some pics somewhere and will post if I can find them..............Dave

Sorry, bit late on the thread, thanks for the confidence Pete ;)AE Luton as has already been stated. Produced some good gear.

Linked to Horace Dall according to one source (don't know about that) but Jim Hyson optics as well as Dave Hinds senior. Jim apparently continued after AE went as Hytel Optics till early 2000s