• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Beginner here :D

Sheila

Well i need a few tips on how to photograph the night sky.... :nonono:  dont laugh.

This is with a normal unmodded DSLR and a tripod ..  no tracking.  I want to try for the Milky Way as I am travelling

to Australia at the end of next week.  Will be in some very dark places.  Just simple advice/tips and exposure info etc would

be appreciated.  Plus some processing advice might be good as I am taking laptop with me.  I do have modded astro camera

but think I will have enough luggage without that :lol:  

Sheila

You're not going to get any useful advice from me Sheila, but I will be looking forward to seeing some of your holiday snaps. Hopefully including some Magellanic Clouds. :thumbsup:

Have a great holiday. :)

Short exposures unless you want star trails

I would try 20 secs or less ISO about 800 but do try others and see what noise is like

stack as many as you can and stretch to taste as normal

darks and flats may help as well

Focus can be a pita unless tethered to a laptop running APT or the other one I cannot remember bakyard EOS ??

Edited by Ibbo

And there's me thinking you had gone visual! Maybe you do need to sneak a look through an eyepiece while the other stuff is doing things.

Have a great time and I can't wait to see how it turns out. Omega Centauri!.........ooh did that come out loud.

Sheila if you want a really lightweight mount to take you are more than welcome to borrow my Adventurer. 

Thanks graham but not thinking of taking anything but camera and a tripod. Won't have time to do a lot so will just try dslr and just normal widefield of the Milky Way if I can 

No probs Sheila. 

Just remember everything is going to be upside down in Australia :lol:

We're expecting big things from you Sheila :)

Omega Cent is on my bucket list. I'll be off to the Canaries in another few weeks and hope to image it.

Check out todays beautiful APOD image of it.

This was taken from Crete. Its not such a 'southerly' object as you might think.

Centaurus A (NGC 5128) top

Omega Centaurus (NGC 5139) 

Edge on spiral NGC 4945 bottom right

(Image courtesy of APOD)

27875462102_c9418d0a53_b.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 2

Sticky tape. Once youve got focus in manual, stick it in place so it doesnt move. Then theres no faffing focusing next time. Short exposures keep fl down to wide and max 25 seconds (test shots will show how long you can go without too much trailing). Flats and darks if you can.

will do my best but i am not expecting anything any good as never tried this before and its been

too cloudy to test anything :(  We will see how it goes

Hi Sheila. This really feels like teaching grandma to suck eggs but here goes!

At our 52 deg north, I recon about 15 secs with an 18mm lens. After that you'll start to get noticeably oval stars. The RA and DEC you shoot at will effect the trailing time and what effect being at 25 deg south (central Australia) will have, I'm not sure.

My 450 is quite noisy at ISO 800 but you probably need that speed to record much.

It's probably best to stop the lens down 1/2 a stop to sharpen it up a little. 

Take an intervalometer and get as many shots as you can. I've stacked over 100 shots in DSS and it's very forgiving about frame alignment.

Dark frames - good advice. It's really annoying to have little trails of red and green dots across your pictures!

Star trails would be interesting. Not only upside down but also going backwards!

These shots might give you some idea and ideas. 

I think you would need a 27 sec exposure (50/18=2.7) to get the same amount of trailing with an 18mm lens.

Nikon D300, 50mm lens at f4, 10 sec, ISO 800.

28023594265_3bb689434d_o.jpg002 DSC_8531. 1x10sec. f4. iso800. 50mm by A PIGGOTT, on Flickr

Stack of 21 frames in DSS.

28023585355_537e45bccb_o.jpg003 A  Polaris-Stack-1.1. 21x10sec. f4. iso800. 50mm by A PIGGOTT, on Flickr

Same frames processed in "Startrails".

27409981463_2089751a6e_o.jpg003 B Startrails. Polaris. cs5.1 by A PIGGOTT, on Flickr

I also did a animation from the same frames (too big to upload) so you can really get your moneys worth out of a set of pictures.