• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

jodrell bank

Bottletopburly

Has anyone visited jodrell bank ? Is it worth a visit , compiling a list of places to visit during holidays , or any other places of intrest maybe greenwich too , 

Yes it's worth a visit. Younger people (kids) might get more out of it than adults though as it is geared towards educating school ages more so than adults. That said I enjoyed it more than enough but I would suggest a nice day rather than a wet day as there is a lot for adults outside. I'm not convinced you could make a day of it, half a day IMO.

Don't forget the National Space Centre, plenty for all ages there and depending on how much of the stuff you read and do it could see you most of the day. The pump house next door is good too.

Also well worth a trip out would be the Science Museum in London.

Edited by Perkil8r
  • Like 1

Definitely worth a visit. :thumbsup: 

It is a very inspirational place and the radio telescope is spectacular. Don't forget to visit the arboretum across the other side of the car park, that is also worth an hour walking around.

Greenwich is also marvellous.

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 1

Thanks  just compiling a list so  if we do go out I have a hit list , 2hr journey for me but thats do able , spacecentre I have done as its on the doorstep a couple of times , definetley want to visit greenwich at some time , cheers for the input 

I went to the Greenwich observatory last year and it was a great day out!

the whole site is set in acres of trees and parks, an unbelievable amount of open space so close to crowded London.

its an historic site with lots of interesting things to do and see. 

The planetarium was a great experience. There are lots of scopes (some huge) and observatories, the 'meridian line', highly interesting clocks and artifacts.

also within walking distance, museums and the Cutty sark etc. 

Well worth a day out!

cheers!

• Like 1

Great place to visit in my mind, to see the Lovell telescope up close is worth the trip itself. Surprising how much you see it move also... Nice picnic spots near it and nice little walks. I really enjoyed the visit, plan to go again.

• Like 1