• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

moldy binoculars

seven_legs

Hi all

just got my binoculars out from cupboard in the kitchen and looked at the lenses and discovered mold growing on the lens inside the bins. God only knows how that got there and how I am going to clean them:(

You don't say what lens has the mould on, is it the large lens or small.

Years ago I had a similar problem, the mould was on the inside of the large objective. And if I remember correctly the small eyepiece lens screwed off the housing and by gluing two McDonalds tea stirrers together and then gluing a Q-Tip to one of the wooden stirrers I could stick the above inside the binocular and reach the mould. I used some alcohol I think to remove the mould.

Once cleaned I just screwed it all together, it worked perfectly.

See if you can figure it out if the bins can be taken apart. 

Edited by Doc

heres a photo, not very good sorry

bins1.jpg

it also looks like the mold is on the prisms as well.

think I should bin the bins, which is a shame because nice binoculars as well

bins.jpg

They do look rather grubby, however, it probably won't deteriorate the view as much as you might think. Having said that, it is only likely to get worse if you do nothing.

Just the thought of looking through such binoculars would certainly be enough to put me off, so I can understand you either wanting to get it cleaned off or get a new pair.

I'd say it depends a bit on how much they are worth. If they were cheap and you fancy a new pair, then don't waste the effort and enjoy choosing new ones. Give the mouldy ones to someone who will have a go. Otherwise you could use them for cleaning practice and might just make them like new again. Good luck. :thumbsup:

The front lens looks easy enough to remove and clean.

Just unscrew the ring and the lens should fall out. :)