• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Filter Help!

Guest AstroStruck

Guest AstroStruck

Hi guys,

Really stuck here regarding which filter(s) to buy for imaging use. My setup is as follows:

Imaging: Skywatcher 200P f/5 on HEQ5, ZWO ASI120MC-S/Canon 5D MKIII unmodded

Guiding: Skywatcher ST80, SPC900NC, PHD2

My main targets for now will be the planets, milky way and a few of the brighter DSOs. I'll be doing the vast majority of imaging from my garden for the time being. I live in an area with moderate light pollution within the suburbs of a major city. The lamps directly outside my garden are white LEDs and switch off at midnight, but there are some sodium lamps on the other side of the house which can cause a skyglow.

My questions are:

1. Which one filter would be best for DSO imaging? I'm currently looking at a second hand Astronomik 1.25 inch UHC CCD filter which is said to be suitable for both visual and imaging for £25.

2. Is it worth getting a planetary filter, e.g. Astronomik ProPlanet 742 IR-pass filter?

3. Lastly, is it worth getting a DSLR lens light pollution filter for imaging the milky way? I realise I can't use the clip-in filters from Astronomik as my DSLR is unmodded, but would it help to get one lens thread filter for one of my lenses which I use most often?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Syed

Hi Syed.

Why do you think you cannot use a clip filter.

The Astronomik clip filters are the best thing since the proverbial sliced bread. (uncut is also available ;) ) 

There is no reason I know of why you cannot use one on your Canon.

It was the first filter I ever purchased when I used my old 350 D

Guest AstroStruck
22 minutes ago, Graham said:

Hi Syed.

Why do you think you cannot use a clip filter.

The Astronomik clip filters are the best thing since the proverbial sliced bread. (uncut is also available ;) ) 

There is no reason I know of why you cannot use one on your Canon.

It was the first filter I ever purchased when I used my old 350 D

Hi Graham,

My DSLR is unmodded, and the Astronomik website states that: 'The Astronomik CLS CCD is suitable under light-polluted skies for DSLR Cameras, which have been remodeled for astronomical use. The filter enhances the contrast between all deep-sky objects and the background.'

Cheers,

Syed

Hi Syed.

It makes little difference if your camera is not modded when using the light pollution filter .

The benefits will astound you.

This is taken from the Astronomik web site.

If you are new to astrophotography and looking for your first filter: We do recommend getting the Astronomik CLS!
The CLS gives you maximum contrast due to it effective surpression of artifical light pollution, but still gives you neutral and well balanced colors. With the Astronomik CLS you can do very deep images of amazing quality even form a urben/suburban observing site!
For the advanced Astrophotographer we do offer a wide selection of filters: Perfect accessories for all kinds of astrophotography. To compile a usefull selection of filters for your obeserving goals we would be happy to give you advise, either via phone or eMail.
The full range of Astronomik filters is available as Full-Format Clip-Filters now. NEW: The OWB filter for daylight-photography with modified cameras is available now too.

* You might want to modify your camera to get a maximum sensetivity at H-alpha and SII for Astrophotography. But this has nothing to do with the Clip-Filters! You may use the Clip-Filters without any modifications to the body. (But some filters like H-alpha and SII-CCD might not make sense with an unmodified camera.)

I use a thread adaptor ring that screws onto the end of my DSLR lenses, and then a simple 2" Skywatcher LP filter.