• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

PoTM June 2016

BAZ

I have to hold my hand up, I misread the rota and we are a bit late this month as well. Frankly I am surprised that anyone has managed to get out and get any images at all after what was probably the wettest June on record. So here we go. 

DSO's

Lunar

Planetary

Solar

Non Astro.

So, starting off the round up is the DSO's, of which Brady stepped up to with a number of entries this month, with a M13 and M27 taking centre stage of his efforts. Shiela and Antares Paul managed to bag a couple of nebula shots, which both were nice and deep with bags of detail.

There were two Lunar, both nice shots and both different. Ibbo's whole moon, which it should be pointed out "He doesn't do", was a lovely crisp image and DeanWatson gave us some close up action with one of my favorite area's, the Plato and Valles Alpes region standing out above the other two, which were also nicely focused and right in on the subject.

Planetary followed this and to be fair I am surprised that there were any considering the poor placement and weather we have had. Braving the elements and defying the odds were Neil and Alan. 

Neil went and had a go at Mars and wasn't happy with this, so went back and had another go at it. Alan gave us three studies of all three planets on offer.

Solar was dominated by Ibbo's superb efforts, with Mike and Phil adding to the images. I do like Ibbo's animated one, but they are all excellent.

Non Astro merits a mention as well this month with Phil's work in Lincoln Cathedral. The new camera really does turn out lovely balanced and colourful shots.

For me though there was one which I felt went and showed the spirit of imaging. That was Neil's attempts at Mars. Not happy with his first efforts, he went back and gave it another go and got more from it. 

The second nights work paid off and brought out much more surface detail, with even a hint of the polar cap at the north end of the planet.

For me, this shows what can be achieved with a bit of dedication and time on the subject. So congratulations Neil, you have the long awaited (cough) accolade of Junes Picture of the Month. Well done mate.

Many thanks to everyone who kindly shares their hard won images on here.

• Like 3

Well done Neil :clap2:

Also a big well done to every one else who somehow beat the weather.

Well done Neil! Persistence pays off.

I enjoyed all the other entries too! ?

Fantastic stuff, well done everybody and thanks to Martyn for the write up.

Well done Neil and thanks to everyone for sharing their images and keeping the forum interesting.