• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

5 minutes with NAN

Tweedledee

Did a few images with iTelescope.

All quick single shot 5 minute JPEGs no processing.

I was quite amazed to get the North American Nebula this good in just 5 minutes...

NGC7000T20.jpg

This one is for SmithySteve re: his post https://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/12000-going-star-crazy/?do=findComment&comment=129452

It is the double cluster in Cassiopiea NGC7788 and 7790 lower. The clusters are not connected, 7788 is about 8000 LY away and 7790 about 11000 LY. They need a bit of aperture to be distinguished from the rich background visually...

NGC7788_90T21.jpg

This is NGC7789 in Cassiopiea, one of my favourites. An easy fuzzball in bins on a good night but magnificent with more aperture...

NGC7789T14.jpg

NGC7510 in Cepheus close up, nice at high power...

NGC7510T18.jpg

NGC7510 widefield with the Bubble Nebula top and Dreyers Object a bit lower...

NGC7510T14.jpg

M11 in Scutum. The Wild Duck...

M11T11.jpg

• Like 3

Nice work Pete ?? and no clouds!

So many stars!

Lovely detail and fab clusters! ?

11 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

Nice work Pete ?? and no clouds!

So many stars!

Lovely detail and fab clusters! ?

Thanks Steve.

Of course, there is no skill involved (well obviously I can do it), but it is good fun with iTelescope. You should try it. If it is cloudy, during your imaging schedule, they don't charge. They give you a substantial discount if the moon happens to be anywhere near.

The best thing is that you can control various incredible scopes, some worth £50K with £20K cameras! You can program it for while you are asleep, and don't have to set-up, pack the scopes away or even close the obsy at the end. :D

Some nice images there Pete. When you said five minutes with Nan, I thought there would be a cup of tea and cakes involved, always was with my Nan. :lol:

Love M11, it's great just sweeping round that entire area.

Nice stuff Pete, I must start up Itelescope again seeing as the weather is pants around here its about the only way I will get to do DSO imaging, which scope was it, the Tak Sky90?

54 minutes ago, philjay said:

Nice stuff Pete, I must start up Itelescope again seeing as the weather is pants around here its about the only way I will get to do DSO imaging, which scope was it, the Tak Sky90?

Thanks Phil.

For NAN I used T20 in New Mexico, a Tak 106 FSQ ED. They have four of these scopes, three with the same FOV 155x233 arcminutes, including T14 in New Mexico and T12  in Australia. T8 in Australia has an even bigger chip giving 238x238 arcminutes. I don't think the Australian scopes will see NAN, although it would be nice to see a bit more space around it.

14 hours ago, BAZ said:

Some nice images there Pete. When you said five minutes with Nan, I thought there would be a cup of tea and cakes involved, always was with my Nan. :lol:

Love M11, it's great just sweeping round that entire area.

Thanks Martyn, and that is just what I intended you to think. :) 

If I still had a nan or a mum, I'd love the chance to spend a lot more than 5 minutes. :)

Yes, there are a few fuzzies and rich star fields around M11.

Edited by Tweedledee

Cluster NGC6939 and galaxy NGC6946 on the border of Cepheus and Cygnus makes a nice 2 for 1 in this widefield and a close-up of the galaxy after. Both 5 minute jpegs...

ngc693946T20.jpg

ngc6946T24.jpg

A few more 5 minute shots of objects I like. I'm finding it quite amazing what just 5 minutes can capture...

Messier 15...

m15T24.jpg

Messier 57...

m57T18.jpg

NGC7008...

ngc7008T16.jpg

NGC6826...

ngc6826T18.jpg

IC5146...

ic5146T16.jpg

NGC6802...

ngc6802T7.jpg

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 2

A different perspective on the previous close-up of NGC6802 above. This is the widefield version. 6802 is just to the left of the Coathanger, Brocchis Cluster, Collinder 399...

n6802BrocchisT14.jpg

Double cluster in Cepheus. Cluster associated with nebulosity NGC 7129 and cluster NGC 7142, less than half a degree apart...

n712942T20.jpg

• Like 1

Here's an interesting and lesser known object. This is 7th magnitude star cluster NGC6823 enveloped in nebula NGC6820 in Vulpecula less than 4 degrees from the Dumbell nebula. If you look closely at the nebula just above right of the cluster you can see an elephants trunk like dark feature. This is made of obscuring gas and dust just like the Pillars of Creation in the Eagle nebula. The nebula and cluster are 6000 light years away and 50 light years across. The object spans a massive two thirds of a degree in the sky...

n682023T24.jpg?raw=1

And 5 minutes on M27 the Dumbell...

m27T21.jpg?raw=1

• 4 weeks later...

Last iTelescope image for a while. I used up my last few points on this 5 minute jpeg and cancelled my subscription due to the new exchange rates pushing up the prices. Now I'm spending my pocket money on the 20" build, £34 per month was looking a bit too frivolous.

This is NGC6992 the Eastern Veil. I like this short exposure, as the nebula looks quite similar to the eyepiece view in the 14".

ngc6992T16.jpg