• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from Ratcliffe on the Wreak

Guest Les

Hi to everyone,

hope I'm in the right section as I am looking for some advise on my first telescope purchase. I have a chance of buying a Celestron C8-NGT and CG-5 Go To mount.

My question is would this be to far advanced for a beginner like myself, the reviews I have read are very good all be it the product looks like its discontinued.

Any help and advise would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Hi Les and welcome to EMS :)

The scope/mount package you mention is pretty sound and a great first scope for anyone. It's a bit more advanced than beginner scopes but if you can get it for a good price then it shouldn't be a problem to learn, even for an average newbie to the hobby.

The CG5GT was my first goto mount - cost me £400 s/h in brand new condition - and I loved it to bits - solid goto functionality, great tracking, and large object database. Just a tiny tad noisy - often referred to as a coffee grinder (CG) lol. It's now discontinued and superceded by the Celestron AVX mount which is around £700 brand new.

The C8N is an 8" newtonian reflector - can't really go wrong with these - probably the most popular aperture size around and costs circa £200 new. You'll see everything you want to look at in the night sky with it and will keep you happy for several years - astronomy is a constant learning process so that's useful.

So it really all depends on age/condition/added extras that you are being offered - and of course price and your negotiating skills. Generally you can get around 1/3rd off new price for s/h astro gear in the first two years for kit that's in perfect working order with no obvious blemishes and in A1 condition.

The combo you're talking about is probably a bit older than two years - so if you can comment on the above points or want to ask any questions about it then feel free to fire away. Hope that helps. :)

Edited by Brantuk
  • Like 1

Hi and thank you for the welcome,

thanks very much for your reply, very helpful and in fact has made my mind up for me, it was a toss up between this and a Sky Liner 250PX at about the same money.

The combo has a few extra lenses and filters, not been used but a handful of times 2 years at the moment its at £200.

Looks in mint condition to me.

Les

Assuming it's all in perfect working order £200 is a steal. You need to get him to demo the goto and make sure it's tracking in both axes (RA and Dec). Ask if there's a battery pack with it. Check there's no bent bolts - particularly alt/az bolts. Check if there's a polar scope and whether it's illuminated. Make sure the legs slide out smoothly and lock in place (the leg locks sometimes jam up) and no dints in the legs - sure sign someone's taken a hammer to it.

If the mirrors look clean and no marks or chunks out the sides they should be ok - take a torch and look down the tube to scrutinise the primary - dust is ok it can be cleaned but you don't want mould lifting the coatings. Check the focuser movement is smooth and firm and see if you can focus on a distant object like a church spire or pylon tip a mile or two away.

There will be other minor points to look out for that others may suggest, but the above should cover the main stuff. Good luck. :)

Hi,

thanks again for for all your tips on what to look for a check. I will get him to do a demo on it  and run over it looking at those points you've given me.

I know it hasn't  got a battery pack with it so that's something I will need to buy along with other bits and bobs I'm sure. 

I will post some pictures when I get it.

Thanks very much for your time and your advise.

Les

Hi Les, a warm welcome to EMS.

I can't really add to the great advice Kim has already dispensed, I wouldn't worry about a battery that won't be an issue, they are easily available. I wouldn't buy one of these battery/lamp/radio/alarm clock things. They seem a good idea, but don't really have the nuts to keep going all night. Have a squint through the DIY section, there are various power packs that some of our more adept members have made.

If you have transport, we have a dark site at Wymeswold cricket club just a short amble down the road from you, you would be very welcome to come along and say hello. (Don't forget your scope!).

Make yourself at home and feel free to ask any other questions you might have, trust me, there will be one or two.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Thanks very much for the warm welcome Martyn,

its quite stressful this buying your first scope business there are so many options and when you don't know what's what

its even harder. 

I think with the advice that Kim as kindly given me I will go for the scope and start exploring.

Thanks for the advice on the power pack, I won't be looking for one of those multi job units when I'm ready I'll have a look on here as you advised.

Sounds great giving a site so close to my village I will definitely pop along when I'm ok with the scope don't want to make a fool of myself ?

Thanks again

Les. 

Hi Les, welcome aboard. Just bring your scope any way. Trlust me, this lot like nothing more than imparting a bit of knowledge, and it's alot easier to solve those niggling simple things you just can't put your finger on when someone has already been there and done that.

Edited by tuckstar

Welcome to EMS Les. :)

You've come to the right place for all the help you might need. :thumbsup:

Hi Andy thanks for the welcome,

I will certainly have plenty of questions, all very new to me. Taken me 50 years to get  a scope. Always  been facinated with night sky

but know absolutely nothing about it.

Looking forward to getting the scope.

Les

Hi Les welcome to EMS. ?

All sound advice above... I am sure that the scope and mount will enable you to see some amazing stuff.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it and a few of the things you get to see ??

cheers!

Edited by Smithysteve

Hi Stephen,

thanks for the welcome,

That's what I am looking forward to seeing some amazing sights for myself.

Cant wait to get started.

Thanks,

Les

Hi Les a warm welcome to the EMS that scope sounds like a steal

Hello and welcome to the forum, some truly fantastic advice above.

Hi all, thanks to everybody for their advise and warm welcomes to EMS

Not such a bargain, well not for me? unfortunately sold before I could get there. So all my reading up on them etc is out the window. 

I am however going to look at a Skyliner 250px tomorrow (with cash in hand) so it looks quite possible I will have this as my first scope

What to you guys think of this scope? I have read some very good reports on them. It looks and is advertised as near mint condition with 

lenses and hand book. 

Many thanks again. 

Les 

Ha! I knew it - that scope was a great bargain for £200. Sorry you missed it Les.

The 250PX is a Newtonian as well - with 2" of extra aperture which is great for peering deeper into space. The big difference is that it's on a Dobsonian mount (rocker box on a turntable). Plus it's most likely manual, unless alt/az motors and handset have been added. The Skywatcher Skyliners are quite popular - I used to have the 12" goto Flextube. The optics are very reliable and you can usually tune the "sticktion" in both axes to suit your personal preference. "Sticktion" is the amount of friction that enables you to move the scope smoothly when finding stuff - but stays in place when observing and doing small nudges to track.

They're just over £400 new so up to two years old a good guide price is around £270 - I'd expect excellent working order and almost perfect bodywork for that. Make sure there's no moisture gotten into the wood - which would warp it.

Look for little improvements like "Bobs Collimating Knobs", right angled finder, possibly a dual speed focuser, and make sure the 1.25" and 2" eyepiece adaptors are included. Check the optics the same as mentioned earlier - and ensure there's all six collimation and locking bolts under the mirror.

Dob's are very quick and easy to set up and operate - if you like it then you can't go wrong. Good luck and let us know what happens. :)

Edited by Brantuk

You won't go wrong if it's in good nick, they are cracking scopes. A few simple modifications and you have a scope that will keep you happy for a long while. OK, you have to find the objects yourself, but that can be no bad thing. That has the capability to get you some of the fainter deep sky and there are hundreds of those.

Good luck and keep us posted. :) 

Can't go wrong with 250px. Love using mine. Get it to a darksite and the sky just opens up. As Martyn said a few simple mods and you have a great scope. Mine has lots of mods and has seen Martyn's shed a few times. Just shout if you want to check mine out.

You'll need to be thinking about some dew protection.

Edited by tuckstar

Good evening all,

thanks for all the advise and what to look for on the scope. We are off to see it tomorrow and hope it's as good as the guy says it is..

I think it's to all standard he didn't say it's been modified its a year old and asking £350. 

No go to system on it but that's not a problem, may be up grade it when I know more if it's possible to fit one to it? I just want to get started

and try to find something to look at. 

It's nice and dark were I live no street lights we over look the Wreake valley so I'm hopeful on clear nights I will see something ..

Thanks for all your advise, appreciate it. 

Les

You can get a spanking brand new one for only £70 more than the asking price with full warranty here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-250px-dobsonian.html

Up to you Les but I'd try and get him nearer to £300 for a one year old scope - if he doesn't budge and it were me I'd be clicking the FLO order button. Good luck mate :)

(Maybe use that as a bartering point)

Edited by Brantuk

Again thanks for your advice Kim, we have decided to buy new and go for the 250px flex tube with go-to. We intend keeping for it a long time and get the grandchildren interested in it so let's get a good one

My question is where is the local shop to have a look and to get these from in Liecedster ?

Weve decided to go new so we get the warranty and back up from the dealer. 

Thanks again

Les

Good choice Les - you'll love it - but be prepared cos it's quite large. However it'll be easier to port around than the 12" which I had and that was on the cusp for me weight wise. The 10" will be very manageable with care. Also be aware that astro photography, whilst possible, will have limitations with the 250PX.

There are no retail astronomy shops in Leicester or Nottingham as such - the nearest is Rother Valley Optics in Rotherham which are a good and reliable supplier. But my favourite, and the very best imho, is First Light Optics of Exeter. It's run by astronomers for astronomers and they really do go over and beyond the call of duty to service customers and keep them happy.

That's my strongest recommendation - if it's in stock and you order Monday - it'll arrive Tuesday. There shouldn't be any problems - but in the unlikely event there are, they will make a point of sorting it to your satisfaction. You can be very confident ordering from them (despite sounding far away). :)

Edited by Brantuk

I can only agree with Kim, FLO do go out of their way to do things right. I have never had a problem, and, Cough!! .....have dealt with them in the past.....a bit.

The 250PX is really a purely visual scope, but folks like Paul Cotton have managed astonishing images of the ISS through one. Just by manually tracking a video camera on a 12" version.

You won't be disappointed, they will show you more than you knew existed.

As we come back into darker skies, the Milky Way  region should keep you going for a good while. Have a look at he Messier numbers. Charles Messier was a French comet hunting dude, and logged objects that were not comets so it didn't interfere with his nights work. They did in fact turn out to be objects well worth looking at, and are renowned as objects well worth looking for.

This is a great resource, thanks to a local group.

http://www.solarius.net/Pages/Articles/dbArticle.aspx?artid=messier_finders

Thanks guys for your advise, I've sent them an email for a stock check on the scope, Exeter isn't a problem to drive to and collect as We regularly go to Plymouth to friends and back in a day. 

I cant ant find any solid tube 250px with go-to only the flextube so that's the one I've inquired about. I will need a power supply as well 

but will have a look on here for that 

Many thanks

Les