• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from Ratcliffe on the Wreak

Guest Les

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

well the continuing saga of me buying my first scope as ended with me actually paying for one now.

Not a new one after all, I found a nearly new, used ounce then stored Skywatcher  Explorer 200p EQ5 PRO Goto.

with a selection of lenses and filters also a power pack and lead and a laser culmination unit for £400.

All paid for and driving to Cornwall Saturday to collect it, at last I actually have a scope!

Cant wait to get it home and set it up, so no doubt I will be asking you guy's questions on "whats this" and "how

do I do that".

Thanks for all your advise and help thus far.

Les

Good for you Les! ??

you will have great time setting it all up and learning how to use it etc. Even better when you get first light on it!

looking forward to hearing more!

Cheers 

Thanks very much chaps, really looking forward to getting it. Been reading up and looking at videos on how to set up the polar scope etc. 

It is a long way but I'm sure it will be worth it. 

Let you know what is like over the weekend..

cheers,

Les. 

Hi again,

collected the scope and all the extra bit n bobs 9 different size lenses, coloured filter kit moon filter books a chart etc. 

It's a monster of a thing didn't realise it was going to be so big? 9 hours there and back so not too bad a trip. 

anyway put it together as far as I could BUT and you all knew that was coming, I'm still confused on how to do this polar align thing as the instructions I down loaded say the small circle Polaris I guess should be at the bottom when I look through the scope but it's at the top! 

Left that bit alone as it was midnight by now so I tried the go to looked out the window at the moon so put that in to go to and it said it was below the equator? what have I done wrong there then. Left it there. 

Can an anyone give me any clues on what I've done wrong please. Also is there a right any or wrong way to pit the scope on the mount I couldn't get any information from the previous owner as sadly he dies on Friday from a long illness and his son knew nothing about the scope and how 

it works fits together etc

Apologies for appearing thick but don't want to break anything or mess anything up on the system. 

Les

Ps have tried to put a picture up but it says it's too large. I'll have another go later. 

If you need a hand Les I'm not far from you Groby. We could have a get together if you like - just send me a pm and we can exchange numbers and arrange something over the next day or two. :)

Big thank you to Kim for taking the time to run through the scope and show me how to polar aligne the mount. Learnt a lot 

yesterday afternoon also how to work the go to system.

must have sunk in because i spent hours right into the early hours of this morning looking at things and the go to works just great. 

Thanks again for your time mate, by the way you have some awesom scopes 

Thanks Les - it was great meeting you too on Friday. :)

We went down to Wales for the weekend and just got back this evening. Glad to have helped you get going - and very happy you found the info useful and you're able to use the scope successfully. It's an addictive hobby believe me and the time just flies before you know it at the eyepiece.

If you need any other help - you know where I am. :)