• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

July 2016 POTM Winner

Perkil8r

And so the baton passes to me for this month. Not an ideal month for imaging things astronomy some may say due to weather and lack of real darkness but yet there are plenty of images to behold. As always, I shall not mention every photo posted, there are forums for that sort of browsing, instead I shall note the best image (in my opinion) from each qualifying category followed by naming this months winner.

Deep Space Objects (DSOs) - A very nice first light for Graham (Bassinghamobservatory) capturing M51 in quite fine detail.

M51_LRGB_CS2.jpg

Lunar - Dean Watson gave us a nice triplet of close-up images of The Moon, my favorite and IMO the best of the three showing Rupes Recta in all it's glory here:

22_21_36wavePS.jpg

Planetary - David (Bottletopburly) caught a couple of planets, Mars and Saturn. Saturn just had the edge I think:

766 saturn 5th july.jpg

Solar - This gave me a headache as there are so many great images this month from the usual suspects plus now Graham entering the mix with his new Lunt. It came down to one composite image for me though from Philjay from the 19th:

activity 19th july HA plus WL.jpg

Widefield - Graham snapped a nice Sunset with the H2O nebulae showing well:

Sunset 07.07.2016.jpg

Winner: - And so for a winner....... It's close, very close indeed but when I first saw it I liked it a lot. The image scale is nice, the framing is perfect and the colours well balanced. The winner is Graham (Bassinghamobservatory) and his splendid M51 Whirlpool galaxy.

All in all a nice collection of images this month. Apologies to the many who I did not mention, as I say, no point listing every image here, I do urge all to go have a look back through the forums to see a fine crop for July. Congratulations to all who made the shortlist, any one of them could have won for any number of reasons but I had to pick one and M51 just had that little edge for me this month.

• Like 2

Many thanks Mike and to all for your comments. Rather surprised to have this accolade with the first image I have submitted.

A super selection of images there Mike and a fine choice for this months winner. Well done Graham.

Well done Graham against stiff competition ? M51 image is a cracker! So keep em coming...

cheers!

I like all of these shots but have to be un-original and say M51 is my favourite.

I'd like to see someone try a guided exposure of Saturn's moons.

Well done on PoTM Graham. One of my fave objects and you have done it justice.

Thanks to Mike for the round up as well. :)

Edited by BAZ

Congratulations Graham. :thumbsup:

Some exquisite detail and lovely colours in that M51 pic.