• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The Perseids, we are rapidly approaching...

Smithysteve

The Perseid meteor shower peaks on the night of the 11th August, with some reports suggesting it could be spectacular this year, but they always say that! ☺️

The moon dips below the horizon around 12.20 am, (along with Saturn as it happens... ) - So the sky should be darkish!

That just leaves the weather and 'whether' you can stay up or not due to work commitments etc ?

That aside it should be warmish, so we just need to get organised and ready for it!

So, all things permitting, are you banking on seeing a few meteors? ??☄?

Cheers??

Yay! Just found out the this afternoon that I can have the Friday off.  I am good if the weather is going to play ball. :)

• Like 1

Got the whole next week off. Will be going up to Belper if the W stays clear. Thought the peak was 12th to 13th this year. That why Belper is perfect as there's no cricket on the Friday I think:):):):):)

• Like 1

I'm planning to have two DSLRs trained on the east of the sky.

Hopefully, I will have them both firing off 30 second exposures asynchronously.

I caught 2 meteors on one frame last month:

MeteorsInSagittariusY16JulD04

I need to go through the images but I saw one of magnitude 1 travelling north east through Cassiopeia at 2229 GMT. It had a short trail.

On my jollies in deepest darkest Wales, so I`m hoping for clear skies, fingers and everything else crossed.

5 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

On my jollies in deepest darkest Wales, so I`m hoping for clear skies, fingers and everything else crossed.

Good luck.

Well my 2 cameras in tandem didn't work, as I can't get the frames off my antique DSLR. I might try ISO 400 and running long exposures with a fish eye adaptor.