• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

24.3.12 SGL7 Lucksall Camp Site

Doc

Saturday 24th March was a wonderful sunny day, myself and Dave was driven to the Nagshead by Ibbo, no not the pub down the end of the road but a lovely nature reserve. Had a great day out, there is not many times you see a male and female Great spotted Woodpecker and a Nuthatch in the same FOV of your binoculars, but today was the day and it was a fantastic sight. Also all the familiar woodland birds were spotted inluding a wonderful Buzzard.

Luckily the clouds stayed away and later that night it turned clear and with my polar alignment and star alignment nearing perfection I went hunting for some Messiers, all the objects below were seen in my Bresser 152R and either the 28mm or the 16mm Uwan.

M81/82

M51

M42

Five stars in the Trapezium.

M31/32

Comet Gerard (seen in PhilJ's F15 Scope)

M78

M65/66

Ngc 2903

M44

M67

M35

M36

M37

M38

M13

Double Cluster

M64

M52

M101

M63

Ngc 4490

M92

M103

M108

Packed up about Midnight as the mist was just rolling in. A very pleasing session and the first for many months.

I do miss observing with you Mick - I see a hell of a lot more than when I'm on my own lol - good report :)

Nice report Mick. Last night I actually started to take note of what I was looking at especially going through the Virgo galaxy cluster but then got sidetracked with planetary again

Phil

Nice report Mick. Last night I actually started to take note of what I was looking at especially going through the Virgo galaxy cluster but then got sidetracked with planetary again

Phil

Remember that brain fog Phil, always make notes.

How did Mars look that night?

Last night was initially shaky because there was a bit of wind but as Mars got higher it was on a par with the 1st night, excellent especially with the blue filter. But Staurn through the 127 was exceptional especially with Steves Takahashi eyepieces.

Phil

Edited by philjay

I've used Steves Tak ep's down sawley before in my 81GT and they are very good indeed, well worth the money they cost.