Welcome to East Midlands Stargazers

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, communicate with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you've signed in.

BAZ

Persids at Belper.

20 posts in this topic

There is nothing on the list for next Thursday and Friday at Belper.

So, if the weather is kind to us I will be going up possibly Thursday and Friday Nights about 22.00.

Just bring a comfortable chair, a recliner if you have one and the old MK1 eyeballs. Don't forget warm clothing......really warm clothing. I made that mistake at the last meet here and just brought the insulated jacket, I didn't last long in what was just a gentle breeze.

There are a few websites, including NASA, that predict this will be a better than normal shower, but I heard that before. I guess we will be the judges of that! :)

Orion likes this

Off all week so weather permitting Rob and myself will be there on Thursday and Friday 

I'll try to come on Friday.

I'm still in the north east, and may not be back to get to Belper. But i had intended to attempt record some Perseids from Gateshead. I don't know if  the distance is too great for any triangulation calculations for height over the period of the meteor flash? But I'll have data anyway, and if anyone records the same meteor, maybe we can exchange data.  I still have to do this for last year's capture from Loughborough  and Simon and Sarah Fisher's identical meteor from Worcestershire. Last year and this year has been a rough ride where I've got only a little done.

I would recommend that you try imaging the shower with a DSLR and fish eye lens.

So far I've seen two and photographed none.

Weather isn't looking good for observing the shower, but ever hopeful it will change (ever hopeful = regularly disappointed!)

My fall back position is keeping an eye on my radio meteor detector, watching and listening for a few pings.

My current longest/brightest detection's can be seen here:  http://ukstargazer.net/radio-meteor-detector/

Or a semi-live waterfall display is here:   http://ukstargazer.net/radio-meteor-detector/meteor-waterfall/

This should auto refresh every 60secs, which is shorter than the display time scale you should be able to see everything it detects.

Normally afternoon/early evening is the quietest  

One of the bigger ones from early hours of this morning:

long.jpg

Current hourly levels are here:  This should update approx every hour on a page refresh.

Grant_082016.jpg

SDR detectors have their Pro's and Con's:

Pro's = detects meteors 24/7 regardless of time of day or weather/

Audio pings are pretty cool, especially on some of the bigger ones or busier meteor streams.

Con's = Due to the location of the transmit source these meteors are generally not visible from the UK  :-(

Hoping for clear skies

Al

P.S.  I really must find out how to stream the live audio.  Looked at it a couple of times but can't find a reliable method.  If anybody has any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Edited by Al.Grant
Orion likes this

As usual the weather is looking rubbish for the perseids

There might be a gap around midnight, but it's not certain.

Just double checking. Anyone going tonight?

I was going to go but according to the weather sites it looks like another cloudy night so unsure now.

Always the same clear by day cloudy at night for meteor showers. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I was going to go but according to the weather sites it looks like another cloudy night so unsure now.

Same here Mick. If it clears I might venture out but sat 24 doesn't look good. 

It's rubbish outside but it doesn't matter anyhow as I've opened a bottle of wine now :lol:

Orion likes this

Cloudy up here but there are glimpses of sky visible, it's not dense cloud... breezy too so hoping it blows some away for a bit later! I remember one year... probably around 1998/99 watching in the back garden on a hot humid night (in Sandiacre back then) until dawn, at the most impressive show! It was incredible, you didn't have to try to see them they were raining down constantly. Anyway, I have never seen it like that since!

BAZ likes this

Your doing better than me, on holiday in deepest darkest Wales and it's blowing a gale, cloudy and slinging it down, been cloudy on a night for the past 3 nights, which is slightly annoying.

The weather is just typical. I booked the day off for this, ah well I did get a force eight sunny afternoon. Maybe if we take up nocturnal cloud spotting we might get clear skies.

Maybe the Leonids will do it for us later in the year.

I tell you what's funny, all these television and radio "experts" rattling on. According to one, every star that we can see is another galaxy, I nearly crashed the van laughing. :lol:

Suzi likes this

I booked the week off..lol

next year is not great cause of the moon if I remember right. 2018 is good cause of thin moon. For that one I'm going aboard for it. Sick of the English weather being shite:) or taking the waz

BAZ likes this