• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My workshop/sun deck/driveway

Tweedledee

Thanks Kim and Mick.

Had the afternoon off work today as the weather forecast was looking good for working outside in my "workshop". :lol:

A very frustrating afternoon, resulting in no production, just destruction and more expense. :angry: 

I was trying to cut some large circles from 18mm Baltic Birch ply with the router. No matter what I did, after 2" to 3" of careful cutting, the router bit came loose, wobbled around, and made a mess of the cut. Tried it time and time again but same problem. Bought a more expensive £20 router bit, and still the same problem. I decided I'd had enough of the Clarke router and couldn't waste any more time with it. Took it back to Machine Mart for a refund. They said they might be able to offer a refund after their technical department had examined it, which might take about 10 days! Instead, I opted to part exchange it for a beefier looking 1400 watt Bosch they had in stock for an extra £50!! Decided I needed sawdust extraction, so tried to rig up our Dyson vac to the router. Struggling to get the flexible hose to pull out of the Dyson, I broke a vital plastic bit off. Chucked it in the car and took it down to the local vac repair shop, hoping to get it fixed quickly without any wrath from SWMBO. No parts in stock, so they've ordered it hopefully for Friday at £69!!! - plus subsequent wrath from SWMBO when she got home tonight!!!! :(

Got to laugh. Just one of those days. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a nightmare day Pete. Good move though upgrading to the Bosch - they make good gear that just works - even if they do lock you in with proprietary fittings.

When I suggested to Di that I use her Henry Hoover for dust extraction, I didn't get grief - she immediately agreed and said she'd go shopping for the next upgrade model for herself (on the assumption I would be wrecking the current one lol). She wasn't born yesterday hahaha! :)

Should have stayed at work Pete :lol:

You get days like that, I've had a few as well. I used to use our Henry hoover for dust extraction but now have a proper kit in the workshop does keep the mess down but you still get some that you have clean up.

As for the bit coming loose what depth of cut was you taking. I used to have a router that done the same thing if you took to deeper cut.

Also I would imagine the Clarke router was 1/4" bits, if the Bosch has 1/2" bits then this will not happen.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2

Mick, I was using a 25mm long, 12.7mm diameter, 1/4 inch shank straight router bit to cut a circle through 18mm ply. I set it so it was at the perfect height to properly cut the full thickness of the 18mm ply. But it just kept loosening and dropping out after several seconds of cutting. Maybe I'm using the wrong technique. Should I cut the circle in say 3 passes going deeper each time, instead of the full 18mm in one pass?

The Clarke had 2 collets 1/4 inch and 8mm.

Not used the Bosch yet. It has 3 collets, 6mm, 1/4", and 8mm. A pity there's no 1/2". It came with a 19mm long, 8mm diameter, 8mm shank straight cutter. I'm going to set it accurately, and give the supplied 8mm a try.

Try cutting it in 3 passes and it shouldn't work loose. 1/4" bits are notorious for coming loose just google it.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Try cutting it in 3 passes and it shouldn't work loose. 1/4" bits are notorious for coming loose just google it.

Thanks Mick, will do that. :thumbsup:

Hi Pete.

Sounds like you had a day to forget.

Hopefully this will cheer you up a bit I went back to work today.

Your bits are all drawn up and stored in the water jets memory.

The Aluminium should arrive tomorrow so by the middle of next week given Monday is a Bank holiday you should have your bits to play with. 

I will do you a couple of spares in case you have another day like today.

Chin up it can only get better. :2thumbsup:

Marvellous thanks Graham. :thumbsup:

Don't rush to do them if you are busy with other things, I'm away on holiday next week.

Spares are always good with my track record. :lol:

Edited by Tweedledee

19 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Marvellous thanks Graham. :thumbsup:

Don't rush to do them if you are busy with other things, I'm away on holiday next week.

Spares are always good with my track record. :lol:

No probs.

Better PM me your address over. 

Hi Pete

Let me know when you are back home and I will send this little lot over.

Trifoils r.jpg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, BAZ said:

Do they come back if you throw them Graham? :lol:

Only if they hit someone after throwing :rofl:

Brilliant thanks Graham. Send them now please, my son is at home and I'll be back on Saturday. :thumbsup:

With nine of them I could go for 27 point suspension instead of 18. :D

Just got the trefoils from Graham. They are excellent thanks. :thumbsup:

The attached image shows a close-up of the 5mm thick trefoil edge and 12mm thick whiffletree edge, both aluminium. The trefoils were cut by Graham using his water jet cutter and the whiffletree by a local firm using a laser cutter. The edge is horrible on the laser cut, you could use it as a coarse file, but superbly smooth and accurate on the water jet cut. Won't bother with laser cutting again.

A superb job thanks, I'm well pleased Graham. :)

edgedetailcrop.jpg

No problem Pete.

Always glad to help fellow EMS members.

Biggest difference between the Water jet and a Laser is there is no heat involved with a water jet.

12 hours ago, Graham said:

No problem Pete.

Always glad to help fellow EMS members.

Biggest difference between the Water jet and a Laser is there is no heat involved with a water jet.

That explains it thanks.

Edited by Tweedledee

Got to grips with the Bosch router, what a superb tool. Should've got a Bosch in the first place like Kim suggested. The Bosch has variable speed, easy and accurate micro adjustment on the cutting depth, and is much bigger and tougher than the little Clarke router I took back. Cut out some big circles in 18mm baltic birch ply, using several passes and got a nice clean edged finish. Found it goes smoother with dust extraction than without, and of course, far less mess.

Had a bit more practice tapping threads. Did some M6 threads to fit delrin pads via countersunk set screws to the trefoils. This was just a practice on a spare trefoil, decided to use M5 on the others, for less countersinking on the delrin...

2016-09-04%2017.32.23.jpg

Edited by Tweedledee

Nice job Pete - glad you got to grips with the router too. I usually do 3 passes with the ply at 5mm or 6 mm depth each pass. :)

21 hours ago, Brantuk said:

Nice job Pete - glad you got to grips with the router too. I usually do 3 passes with the ply at 5mm or 6 mm depth each pass. :)

It is working a treat. I'm using an 8mm shank, 25mm long cutter as supplied with the Bosch. It seems really sharp and cuts nicely in several passes. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Been away on holiday and had a nice break from the internet. Had a wonderful time with great weather in Northumberland. Got marooned on the relaxing tropical Island of Lindisfarne. Tried to get into some castles only to find most of them had been taken over by Transformers and yanks filming the new movie. :)

Bit more progress on the mirror cell. I'm extremely pleased with it and all the gimbals and moving bits work fine...

20160923_172501.jpg

I'm a bit dubious about the reflectivity on these Baltic Birch mirrors though :lol:...

20160923_172624.jpg

• Like 2