• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Problem with the QHY 5 II

Graham

Been trying out the QHY 5II today with the Lunt.

Downloaded the latest version of Fire Capture and after a bit of a battle got it running.

The problem I have if you look at the image is the banding.

Now the old QHY 5 had this issue and there was a way round it but that is lost in my far and distant memory.

It was something to do with band width / buffering issue.

Any one got any ideas on how to cure this.

This image is a single frame the AVI's once stacked are even worse. :facepalm:

Thanks

Graham

Solar_161556_0000.jpg

I sometimes get this with my PST and compact digital camera. As my compact digicam uses the dreaded Bayer matrix, most of the banding is on the red channel, so I can process it out.

Can you try using flats and darks?

Hi Phil

Unfortunately not the 5 is a mono camera.

Its not noise as such its the camera missing lines when it downloads the frames.

I will try next time running it on its own USB lead and not through the powered hub.

It's known as Newtons Rings (I think) and Steve (Ibbo) has had issues with it in the past. Drop him a PM although I'm sure he'll be along later anyway if he drags himself away from the fish and chips long enough :lol:

Just to add, ZWO recommend tilting the camera slightly for solar imaging to try and cure this sort of thing. Have a dig about on the old interweb, there's quite a bit out there about it but as I say, Steve is your best bet IMO.

Mike. 

Just read a very long and detailed explanation of this phenomenon and it is more often than not caused by the optical window in front of the chip. 

The good news is I can unscrew the front cover on the qhy5 and remove the optical window. 

I will give it a try tomorrow. 

Thanks Mike. 

Fingers crossed then :thumbsup:

From what I've read, CCD's don't tend to suffer the same issues, not really sure quite why that is though.

31 minutes ago, Ibbo said:

Something to do with rolling shutter I believe

Interesting point :2thumbsup:

Edited by Graham

Hi Steve 

Cannot tilt the 5 because of its shape. 

It fits inside the focuser. 

Yes full disc 

Edited by Graham

Are you double stacked? If so I expect you can tilt the objective end etalon, I know you can on the Coronado, that may help a little?

Well I have tried all I could today and still no go.

It is definitely the camera that is at fault.

Nothing else for it but bit the bullet and get another camera. 

I think you may still suffer Graham. There are gadgets out there to induce small amounts of tilt in the train. Steve had one I think. I really don't think changing the camera is the solution though.

10 minutes ago, Perkil8r said:

I think you may still suffer Graham. There are gadgets out there to induce small amounts of tilt in the train. Steve had one I think. I really don't think changing the camera is the solution though.

It must be the 5 Mike as I do not get any troubles when I use the Lifecam.

I even tried my old 350 D on it today.

Apart from all the crap on the chip the image was perfect.

It is possibly showing because it is more sensitive than the lifecam or canon. I really do advise you to speak to Steve whom I know has had the same issues with various cameras. I know for sure the issues were there with the ZWO but I think he also had issues with the blackfly too. I just don't want to see you spend money on another camera if you don't need to fella :thumbsup: