• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Cheap tat on the moon!

Dean Watson

Ok, so I imagine most of us on here are reasonably enlightened types who look at the universe in its majesty with awe and wonder.  Blah blah blah...  Mans manifest destiny in the cosmos... yadda yadda yadda...

Mans future in the universe is usually portrayed SF in that way, one way or another.  I forward you particularly to anything by Arthur C Clarke and while not SF, much of the writings of Carl Sagan.  I'm sure you know the kind of thing I mean.

Now, I contend that if manned spaceflight becomes anything like commonplace, say, tourist excursions to the Moon, there will be in Mare Tranquilitatis at the Apollo 11 visitor centre a cheap gift shop selling Neil Armstrong snowglobes.  Thus, by extension I contend that the universe will not be inherited by intellectual enlightened types (if spaceflight becomes easy and common) and rather by humanity in all its foibles.  Bearing in mind of course that the enlightened types have always (and I see no reason why this will change) been in the distinct minority and are in no way representative of what Man actually IS in the commonality.

• Like 2

As a reasonably enlightened type, I would hope to source my Neil Armstrong snowglobe far cheaper via ebay from China. :D

I think you might be right there Dean. I saw something the other day about private companies being granted the right to go to the Moon and explore for mineral resources. I am not quite sure (A) Who has the right in the first place to say who can and cannot go to the Moon and (B) What they would plan to do about it once you had set off and got there anyway.

The way the world is going I think China and India are going to be the ones to do it. The major powers are too busy spending all our money on weapons and playing silly buggers. We have some catching up to do anyway as North Korea has already landed on the Sun, apparently. They must have gone at night! :D

Edited by BAZ
Certain letters and brackets turn into unwanted emoji's. :(

Funny, that! I've often wondered about using some of my photos to print on T-shirts, mugs, etc. I've even wondered about advertising them. Only problem is, I don't know which of my astronomy photos has mass appeal.

I think I'm enlightened but people need to keep buying things they don't need with money they don't have or the world economy would be even worse than it is.

Much as I would never admit this to my Mrs I don't really need a £300 camera or two £500 telescopes.