• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dressing gown observing.

I had to get up to answer a call of nature and on moving the curtains to see what the weather was doing, there was Orion completely risen.

so, off to sort out the original issue and then outside with my 8X30's.

M42, first time this season and it didn't look bad in bino's. I then found M31, which was overhead, not bad as I can't usually get this due to LP. I tried for M33, but that was pushing it. Then over to M35 in Gemini, and that stood out like a sore thumb, gorgeous. I got the two brighter clusters in Auriga, but couldn't get the fainter one.

I then just had a wander up the Milky Way, I started over in what is now the setting Cygnus and followed it all the way over between Orion and Auriga.

The bug is back!

Back to bed then, although it's still quite warm out, 12C,it gets a bit perky in a dressing gown and slippers.

It's nice to to get a short bin session like that when you're already dark adapted from being asleep in the dark. :thumbsup:

Sounds most enjoyable! An unexpected experience, bet you could not get to sleep after that Martyn! ?

You are right there Steve, I just nodded until the alarm went off. Really nice to see all the old favourites again.

Did you see the lovely thin crescent moon Martyn ??

I was up at around 04:30 (similar circumstances : it must be our age :facepalm:)

and spotted all the 'winter favourites' in the east. The moon was very low at the time.

No binocs though, i went back to bed soon after awaiting my 05:45 alarm call for work....

Quite a contrast really, i was out observing last night with a friend over at DDAS observatory till around 23:30

We had a beautiful clear sky most of the time, and concentrated our efforts mainly exploring the 'Summer Triangle' area.

I actually felt like staying out all night !! So it was nice to see the winter constellations only 5 hours later.

No I missed that. Never mind, nice to see something again and remind myself what a decent sky looks like.