• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Kelling banter and aftermath thread.

BAZ

Since things haven't been going too well just lately in our house, I am now quietly getting excited about getting my sorry backside out into the Norfolk countryside and doing next to bugger all for a bit. Unfortunately we had a family bereavement recently and I will have to come back during the week to attend my Father in Laws funeral, but that said, I now cannot wait and have begun the count down from work. This being my first break other than bank holidays all year.

I am contemplating getting a trailer to help spread the load and save playing car Tetris, this also means I'll be able to drag over more stuff that I won't use all week to Kelling.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Getting the trailer is a great idea, you can never have too much stuff.

Always better to have stuff you dont use than to find out you have not brought something you need.

I know exactly what you mean about the countdown mine began last month :ok:

Roll on the end of the month. 

My count down for this years Kelling started at the end of last years Kelling !!

As usual, I'm about 90% packed and have been for weeks!

:P 

Be prepared eh Daz! :D 

I am off to look at a trailer tomorrow it doesn't have a cover but it's at the right price and I can get a cover for £30. I don't need to put anything too heavy in it, just the bulky stuff.

Just finishing off the dob base I started in the diy threads - decided to just screw it all together cos I'm outa time for a proper finish and it is a prototype after all. It might get a lick of paint - but also might not - last min rush job.

Looking forward to the peace and quiet of Kelling and seeing everyone again for a bit of astronomy. :)

not really started yet, but actually should arrive Wednesday this year and not leave till Monday morning if all goes well :D  longer break and more chance of clear skies :)

Just finished with my trailer Martyn and it's got a cover!! I've got to unloadn the caravan from moving house before I can start to thinkl about dragging it to Kelling, but looking forward to it!!

Sorry to hear about your father in-law Martyn. Send our love to Khys. 

I'll be over in the yellow field from Thursday.  Can't wait to get away.

Edited by tuckstar

Can't wait. 

Will be better this year not having to transport all my gear on a trolley from the caravan.

Been a few years since I've been camping so having fun tracking all my camping equipment down as it seems to have got distributed all around the house and shed :)

Can not wait till next week looking for ward to seeing every one and bring my new solarscope we might see the Sun:lol: or the stars:lol:

I'm packing up this weekend and then heading south on Friday. Running out of holiday days so taking a half day and leaving around 1pm Friday hopefully I'll be there in time to set up before dark. [emoji437][emoji437]

Well, that's the car sorted as well, the brakes squealed like a cornered pig. It turns out it wasn't a "Lazy Caliper" like the last garage said and did bugger all about, it was just the dirt cheap brake pads which they had in fact put in. No wonder they couldn't do anything about it. I won't be using them again, I will however recommend the one I got it sorted with, and I didn't get skinned for it. 

That's the going and the whoa-ing sorted. 

• Like 2

All,

As the Kelling Heath star party is almost upon us, can I just remind everybody of this thread......

Cheers,

Daz.

Well, I've not been ill for years & then a few days before Kelling I come down with opthalmic shingles (shingles around the eye/forehead /scalp). I'm on antivirals & antibiotics & trying to get well as fast as possible but it's not looking good for me at the moment, as a proper recovery can take several weeks! Sis was coming too so she'll be as miffed as me.

Sorry to hear that Dave, if you can't make it, can you let us know, we may be able to shift the pitch for you, I know some people were asking a while back @Graham ?????

Please do not hand it back to Kelling.

Get well soon.

3 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

Sorry to hear that Dave, if you can't make it, can you let us know, we may be able to shift the pitch for you, I know some people were asking a while back @Graham ?????

Please do not hand it back to Kelling.

Get well soon.

Hi Daren,

Thanks. Obviously I want to hang on in the hope of making it - compared to many folks I seem to have got away with it fairly lightly so far. Might be worth priming EMS folks that there could be a place going at the last minute so they can provisionally book some time off work? I won't hand it back to Kelling except as a last resort.

We're going to be a day late arriving. Had a bit of a dire rear for three days and unable to do a thing to load up what with the other ailments. Anyway - today we have just about got the caravan and car all sorted, so we'll leave early Monday morning and arrive sometime around midday. Really looking forward to getting there now. :)

That's me pretty much packed as well. I am aiming to leave about seven tomorrow and arrive midday. I never knew I had so much and I thought I had trimmed it back. Ah well.

Looking at all this camping gear i'm wondering where my telescopes are going to go :)

Can't wait for next Friday. Newark Radio Rally Friday morning then on to Kelling. 

Should arrive mid afternoon.

Pitch 234 so feel free to chop the trees down for me if you get bored :)

That's me about sorted. 

Picked up another NEQ6 yesterday along with a shed load of bits and bobs. 

Now I don't have to dismantle the obs.

I will also have a load of gear to sell. 

Roll on Friday :)